Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM

i got a parts list and all the how tos for the 5 speed swap, however, is the valve body a easy task that the home mechanic can do? im a mechanic but not to experienced in automatics lol

Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Hell yeah, if you're a backyard mechanic like me, you can do it. I've had two frigging brain surgeries and am pretty much a dumbass, but I did it. You seem like an intelligent man who isn't afraid of a little challenge. Just follow the videos I posted. It's really that simple. And if your Saturn doesn't have ABS, it should be really easy. Doing the 5 speed swap will be a hell of a lot more labor intensive. A couple of hours as opposed to a couple of days. Which do you want to do?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM

ok, ill start with the filter change, than if no improvement, ill buy a rebuilt valve body and the cover gasket off ebay and ill just replace it, i may even get a used auto from pick a part and have it rebuilt as a back up trans

Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM

oh real quick ? if i bought the valve body from the local salvage yard. could i rebuild it myself, or even rebuild my current valve body? i fount a kit with all 5 solenoids and the conductor plate on ebay for 100

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM

oh real quick ? could it be the ects? and if it s\is is the ects also known as the coolant temp sensor?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM

You have two sensors on that sucker. The one that screws into the head is for you gauge. Don't bother with it. The one under it is the ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor). Most likely culprit. BUT before purchasing a new one along with the "pigtail", just check the pigtail. It could be cracked like mine was and not making a good, tight connection. Cheap enough to replace, but you could probably just wrap some electrical tape around it to get a tight connection. If I'd discovered that before purchasing the new combo, I'd probably still have $51 dollars in my pocket instead of ten. Do yourself a favor and check that first. And I don't recommend purchasing a valve body from a salvage yard unless you can find one on a low mileage car that was either t-boned or rear ended. Odd are better that the transmission would be in better shape on a wreck like that than a car that appears to have no body damage or was in a front end collision. Choice is yours. It's your time and money, but check the simple things first. I forgot that and have pissed away about $140 in the past week.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM

im gonna inspect the ects and change the trans filter, the fluid is newish my uncle changed the fluid only last year but never the filter