Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

transmission dohc

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Default transmission dohc

Hey there guys and girls, so I had my girlfriends car in the shop to get some things done and it didnt really cost me a penny. So when the car was on the lift i noticed something leaking, so I was like great. I touched the drips and it was red, then i got . she knew about it leaking a little. it doesn't really phaze me but the way she drives the car it does. so I looked online for a trans. I found one its off a 1993 but he didnt give much information, so i emailed him about it just waiting for an answer. My girlfriend has the sl2 twin cam performance package if the transmission i get isnt the "performance package" would I run into problems? I just wanna rebuild the transmission with new seals and new fluid and hope the gearings arent messed up.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I personally am not a big fan of trying to pull a transmission on a FWD car. I know it is done by others, I have done many things but non of them are pulling a FWD transmission.
So I avoid it when possible.
However, Transmission Additives that address leaking seals while not the perfect solution have actually worked. And I will try them before backing into a corner on replacement. A 3m product has worked the best for me anyway with also good luck from LUCAS products.
If the transmission is already broken and you are contemplating replacing it anyway, how much more broken can you make it by trying an additive.
In addition, unlike my 1st car (see previous threads) a 1947 DeSoto or even my 2nd a 1930 Ford where almost anything from any year fit it, stuff gets a bit iffy when swapping parts on new computor controlled things and it pays to have a clue what might actually fit and work before you start. At the top of this thread is a STICKY on swapping parts back and forth. Derf or some one here put a lot of time and effort in addressing what would fit and work. It would pay to read it carefully so you do not purchase something that when said and done, doesn't work or works worse than what you took out.