Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Is there are way to raise up a '99 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM

I didn't say a stock s-series sits higher then all cars. I didn't say it sits lower then all cars. I think the word I used was "average" which means

a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean: Her golf average is in the 90s. My average in science has gone from B to C this semester.

a typical amount, rate, degree, etc.; norm.

Statistics . arithmetic mean.

Mathematics . a quantity intermediate to a set of quantities

There is a good chance your car was lowered. There is a good chance your cars springs are worn out. There is a good chance your car is over loaded. I dunno, maybe you need to pull up and park next to a few Saturn s-cars in your area to compare them.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 AM

Either way, I would like to see it somewhat higher.
==========================
Well, that might very well be true'
However
in a forum format it is a bit difficult to determine just exactly how to resolve that based on
1. the inability to see WHY it is percieved as not being high enough
and
2. The limits to that based on the design of the car vs parts available to solve that.

On an automobile using a strut type suspension the odds are going to be that IF if is lower than normal than it is because the springs have been modified/changed to cause that to take place.

The solution to that is going to to have to be based in part on why it is percieved as not high enough.

As my experiance on Saturns is I have never lowered and personally have no desire to raise one at all I see no practical way to do that. However if by comparison or mearurements (generally verified by purchasing a manual that gives specifications to measure towards) it is determined that it has been lowered, the way to restore said car is to either purchase new FACTORY or OEM style struts and change them all. Or Springs if that be the case.
The odds are that spring sag due to age is not the problem. But then again until a measurement is made the is an assumption.
If it is statistically correct as it sits, the odds are they is no way to raise the car in height.
If there is some at all it will be based on how much give or room there is in the existing struts.
I would assume that there are only two ways to raise the car if it is normal ride hieght as it sits.
Replace the springs with something that is stronger that will cause the car lift. Or put in over load blocks between the spring coils.
The first probably won't work because the springs are not available and the second probably will work if you can find them.
It will ride like hell but emulate a Jeep or something like that in ride height or appearance.

But the choices are going to be limited simply because at the moment there is no indication as to why it is to low which is simply one of two things.
It is too low because some one lowered it
or
you don't like it.
And if the second reason is the one that is being dealt with I really don't think that if there is a solution to that, that you are going to like it either.
I do not think there is a practiacl or economical method to raise the car. Not that is is impossible, it is most probably impractical.
six grand worth of air suspension would probably do it too. But I don't know where you are going to find some one to even try to accomplish that one.
The only comments I can make I already have made.
I hae a Saturn Coupe.
I have a trailer hitch on it.
I have used the trailer hitch to carry a mobility scooter on the car which is far heavier than bicycles.
I do not find the ride height objectionable carryinga mobility scooter or towing a trailer.
And the only time I ever wanted to raise a car was after I changed springs with out verfying that I needed to. The ride height was cool and rightous.
And was also 6 inches low. While it was dealable here in the SW, a trip back east made me realise it was not compatible with roads nationwide so I replaced the springs in the front and then lowered it from the Stock ride height to simply 3 inches lower.
A lot of work to correct a stupid mistake.
I really never had the desire to raise a car
or
own one that was.