Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Test Shifter Cable Without Install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Default Test Shifter Cable Without Install?

I picked up a used OEM shift cable for my 97 SL1 Manual and was curious is there is a way to test the cable without having to wait until it is installed to find out if if works...even the least bit. I know the shift handle exerts a certain amount of pressure on the shift cable to operate correctly. So, does a "good" shift cable move freely on it's own within the sleeve or should it be stiff to the point it won't move at all? This is my first time dealing with a broke shifter cable and I want to avoid unnecessary remove/install if there is a simple way to test it first. Thanks for any help!

BTW, the used one that I got will not move at all just trying to hold it in my hands and either pushing/pulling on the fore/aft ends.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 AM

You might try putting some type of penetrating oil on that cable. In my limited experience with cable inside housings, they should slide freely. I'm more of a Mopar guy and never fooled with a manual shift Saturn. Simple way to find out is go to a parts store and ask to look at one of theirs and compare.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

If you think about it, you want the cable to move freely enough inside the housing so that there is no "drag"/resistance when you are shifting. At the same time, you don't want it so loose that the cable will move all over the place as that will make shifting a challenge and although held into gear by the released clutch, I suppose the shifter could get knocked into neutral if you hit a good bump.

So the answer is....?? You likely want some resistance to movement.
How does its movement compare with the broken shifter cable?
And did the cable actually break or just the end link that attaches to your shifter?

Personally, the more time spent thinking about it eats into the time required to just put it in and try it.

I'm assuming you had to trash the shifter cable bushing to get that end off of the shifter.

Go visit the seller saturnbushingman on e bay. You get what you pay for.
His products WORK and they LAST.