Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

doors cant be unlocked without remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM

my car cant be unlocked without the remote and if you do use the key to open the door the alarm goes off quietly and gets louder as it stays on, is there something in the car that is a security feature to turn it off, also the alarm goes off when you the key regardless to if the alarm is even triggered... how would i find out if this is security feature or if there is an after market alarm or factory... i bought the car used and nothing was mentioned to me at the time.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

The alarm going off when you use a key instead of the remote to enter the vehicle is a standard thing.

There are various settings that you can change to control the way your alarm system works. What year/model of Saturn do you have, and describe the shape of the remote keyfob you use to control the doors ...

Old 12-11-2008, 03:48 PM

my car is a 99 SL2 4 door, and the remote has two buttons on top left side, lock, right side unlock, bottom right, trunk and to the left, panic, where would you change such settings...

thanks for the reply

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

so you can use the key to lock and unlock the doors? if so just lock the doors using the key (the alarm system will not be activated) and when you go to get in the car use your key again, completely bypass the alarm making it useless really...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM

no i cant use my key manually.... i have to lock the doors via the remote or else the alarm will go off.... the alarm will go off even without being triggered...

even if i lock the doors from the outside with the key the alarm will go off... someone please explain why i cant use the key... if the remote batteries die... im looking at a dead car battery from the alram... saturns suck...lol

Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Missa81
no i cant use my key manually.... i have to lock the doors via the remote or else the alarm will go off.... the alarm will go off even without being triggered...

even if i lock the doors from the outside with the key the alarm will go off... someone please explain why i cant use the key... if the remote batteries die... im looking at a dead car battery from the alram... saturns suck...lol

OK ... from what you describe, you have the standard Saturn keyfob, so it is probable that your security system is ''stock''. I have a couple of questions:

1) When you start your car, and drive off, do your doors lock by themselves?

2) When you turn the car off, and remove the key from the ignition lock, do the doors unlock by themselves?

3) With the car off, open the passenger side door, depress the lock button (on the car, not on the keyfob), and close the door. Now, open the passenger side with the key, does the alarm sound?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

maybe someone unlatched the arm from the handle to the lock... you are going to have to take your door panel off and look around, maybe even take some pictures