Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starts on second crank - but seldom on first

Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM
Default Starts on second crank - but seldom on first

Has anyone else had this issue?

When I get into the car (warm engine or cold engine) I turn the key and it cranks over but doesn't start. Then I return the key to the run position and the next time I turn it to the start position it starts right up.

Can't quite figure out why this is happening.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

We've had a few of these posts this month.

Fuel pressure is probably bleeding off in between uses of the vehicle. This happens 100% of the time with my 1997 SC2. I turn the key to run, wait for the service light to turn out then crank. Works 98 out of a hundred times. you simply need to find the correct time interval after you turn the key to run so that the fuel pressure builds up to the ideal level, then crank.

It may be a sign of a tired fuel pump but mine has been doing it for over a hundred thousand miles. Do loan a tool for a fuel pressure gauge and attach it to the fuel rail under the hood and look at what the fuel pressure does in between uses of the car and between off and run. Then you will truly see what the fuel pressure is doing

Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanks derf, I'll try the delay in turning the key to on and then starting the car and see if that helps.

I can live with that if that's the case.

The car is a 1999 SL2 with 233,000 miles on it, so it could certainly be the fuel pump. Could it also be leaky injectors?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

The 97 OEM Fuel Pump actually had a manufacturing flaw/design flaw and was prone to developing this problem to the point that they would eventually not be able to build up enough fuel pressure to start the car.
Most failed within the 3/36K warranty and were replaced with a different design. Mine never did. 263K later, here we are.

When an S car starts, the air to fuel mix, like most cars, is rich. With the S Cars, there is pretty much a direct path for any fuel vapors not immediately burning to hit you right in the nose, making it smell like fuel is leaking under the hood -- pointing you to question leaky fuel injectors. Very rare for an injector leaking enough on the S cars to make a difference in anything.

You are more likely to see leaking fuel injector issues via things like lean issues (yes lean) --(too much gas in one cyl triggers higher Oxygen readings at front O2, which cannot distinguish between cyl output, so it shortens the fuel injector open interval so that the total O2 reading is within spec. One rich + 3 lean cyls balanced out so that O2 sees what's it is after. The mix that results in any one of the four cylinders can be off enough to trigger misfires (too rich, too lean) and can gas foul the plug on the leaky cylinder.

So, in short, usually not an issue related to this behavior.

End of novel (sorry). I write train of thought.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Well, I tried turning the key to "On" and waiting a few seconds - could hear the fuel pump going in the rear. Then tried starting the car and she fired up first time. I am in the middle of replacing the headliner and the flex pipe on the exhaust at the moment so haven't had too many opportunities to drive it. Will keep updating this thread with how it seems to be going with the starting issue.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Yep, seems to start on the first crank every time if I wait a few seconds in the "On" position before I start cranking..

So are you thinking the fix for this is the fuel pump? I don't think I'll be fixing it, but just curious?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 AM

I'd suspect the fuel pressure regulator is weak. BUT, I'm not a mechanic.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Back in 97, I replaced mine with no luck regarding that issue

Old 06-23-2018, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

It is pump related as expained to me by a Saturn Tech like 15 years ago

Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 AM

So I am seeing lots of fuel pumps on ebay for around $15. Would these be the right item? Seems like it would cost more than that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starts on second crank - but seldom on first