Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Saturn SL 1996 5 speed Won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Oh my goodness! Are you totally sure of those readings? Might want to get one of them "squirt-oiling" cans, and give a shot down each plug hole just before taking another set of readings .......

Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Oh my goodness! Are you totally sure of those readings? Might want to get one of them "squirt-oiling" cans, and give a shot down each plug hole just before taking another set of readings .......

Yes, I followed the instructions on the back of the compression tester thing and I added some oil down the place where the spark plug goes and its the same reading. The guy at autozone said my piston ring is bad, the other guy said its the valve. In any case, it still involve fixing my head gasket and opening up the motor to look for any damaged cylinder, piston ring and bad valve. I even had to buy the repair manual for $27.33 just in case...

I'll leave you pro to tell me what to do from here...

Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM

You've got a blown head gasket and possibly some bad valve seals. Either way, you're going to have to pull the head in order to get it fixed. I don't think it's a ring problem unless your plugs are oil fouled. Look in your service manual and there is a guide with pictures that will show you how spark plugs look due to various problems. Match yours up to one of the pictures. Head gasket replacement isn't a difficult job, but if you're not a decent mechanic, this is not a job for a first timer. Either find a reputable shop or a friend who knows what they're doing. And if you have a DOHC engine, you'd better make sure that whoever does it is familiar with the DOCH engines. If they get one cam out of time, the car will never run right.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
You've got a blown head gasket and possibly some bad valve seals. Either way, you're going to have to pull the head in order to get it fixed. I don't think it's a ring problem unless your plugs are oil fouled. Look in your service manual and there is a guide with pictures that will show you how spark plugs look due to various problems. Match yours up to one of the pictures. Head gasket replacement isn't a difficult job, but if you're not a decent mechanic, this is not a job for a first timer. Either find a reputable shop or a friend who knows what they're doing. And if you have a DOHC engine, you'd better make sure that whoever does it is familiar with the DOCH engines. If they get one cam out of time, the car will never run right.

My cam is a Single Head. Is this the reason why the car smoke because some oil got into the engine? And also can this explain why I'm loosing coolant and there is no external leak? I think the coolant is also going into the engine.
I just installed new spark plugs gapped to .40 as well.

What I'm I supposed to be looking for when I'm fixing the head gasket? A bad gasket?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

This engine is going to require a teardown to verify what needs to be repaired. It could get expensive really fast. If you have done a couple of engine rebuilds before, you could probably do this one (with the exception of any machine shop work required). The other option would be to simply go to the local U-Pull-It yard, and buy a used replacement engine and swap the engines out - might be a cheaper way to go ...

Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

based on the vast volumes of oil and coolant you use,
the coolant is likely entering the cylinders and burning.
the oil is likely getting into the cylinders and burning.

Those kind of compression readings are so low I'm surprised it runs in any appreciably useful manner.
Should be near 200 psi.

Suspect at least a bad head gasket. If you choose to tear it down, you'll probably want to do valve seals and valve guide seals, re-ring everything ..............cause you don't ever wanna open this thing up again to do stuff you coulda done earlier.

It's not too bad cost wise if you supply your own labor (except shop work per OA), but if you're asking what you need to look for when replacing a head gasket, I'm thinking an engine teardown is not for you unless an experienced pal leads you through it.

Junk yard engines are a swap in alternative. Don't know the history but it beats what you have, which is an engine with no compression gulping oil and coolant.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
based on the vast volumes of oil and coolant you use,
the coolant is likely entering the cylinders and burning.
the oil is likely getting into the cylinders and burning.

Those kind of compression readings are so low I'm surprised it runs in any appreciably useful manner.
Should be near 200 psi.

Suspect at least a bad head gasket. If you choose to tear it down, you'll probably want to do valve seals and valve guide seals, re-ring everything ..............cause you don't ever wanna open this thing up again to do stuff you coulda done earlier.

It's not too bad cost wise if you supply your own labor (except shop work per OA), but if you're asking what you need to look for when replacing a head gasket, I'm thinking an engine teardown is not for you unless an experienced pal leads you through it.

Junk yard engines are a swap in alternative. Don't know the history but it beats what you have, which is an engine with no compression gulping oil and coolant.

Thanks guys, I'm about to do an engine tear-down. I've never done something like this before but I'm being positive. I already got the repair manual... I'll surely let you know how it goes and I'll also try to post pictures again

Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Look man, this isn't a job to do by yourself for the first time. You really need to get someone that's done a few rebuilds to help you out. I was fortunate enough to have had a father who was a damned good mechanic raise me. He had me working on cars before I was old enough to drive them and let me help with a complete rebuild at age 14. It was very cool. I've done a lot since then, but still don't consider myself a mechanic. Just a tinkerer.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Somehow, the chances of this ending well are dwindling in my mind the more I think about it...if it were me, that motor woulda been yanked the very second that first low compression reading popped up...1.9 sohc engines can be had for around $400 here in the Bay Area...and I'm not a mechanic either...

Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 PM

Man, that's pricey. I can get the complete engine block with the head for about $150 bucks at the Pull-A-Part in Nashville. Of course, if you want the alternator, exhaust and accessories, it costs more, but the block and head would be all you need anyway. And that includes the oil pan an valve cover, in case you're wondering.

Quick Reply: Saturn SL 1996 5 speed Won't start?