Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Right side axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Default Right side axle problem

This is a 1997 SL. The pin in the differential ate the case and the transaxle is ruined. Pulled it out a couple of days ago. I have another low mile transaxle from a car the wife wrecked a few years ago which we just installed. Now the right side axle goes into the differential easily, engages the splines fine, but stops 1/4" from being fully seated. The support bracket holes are off by that much too. I've read the book (Chiltons) and searched the internet and it seems like it ought to just slide in to place with nothing special like clips or keepers etc.

Anyone have some insight or have had this problem. It's not binding or doesn't feel that way. It just goes nearly all the way and then just stops solid. Tried tapping on the bracket to get it to finish seating. No luck. Turned the wheel while tapping. No luck. It pulls back easily enough. And goes back in to the point it stops just short of being fully inserted easily.

Best, wes

Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 AM

I am not sure which means I don't know but there is a possibility that if the transmission was from a different year car that Axle may be the wrong length.
There is a sticky at the top of this thread list (I think it is this thread list) that gives a whole bunch of very good interchange information on these cars. I think it points at this;
www.saturnwiki.net
I have replaced a few half shafts in my life and other than running accross a pesky C clip I did not see I have not had much of a problem.
Although I draw the line at replacing major parts on a front wheel drive car at this point in my life.
Half shafts is where I stop. Transmissions? I have not had to yet and so far am avoiding the issue.
It might pay to take a bright light and a mirror if needed and look inside to see if there is a loose part floating around in there.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. They are identical cars...both 1997 SL's so I would expect the axle parts to be interchangeable.

I probably wouldn't have changed the transaxle myself but my son is here to help. It was a chore but not all that bad with the instructions I found on the forum for taking it out through the wheel well.

Now to solve this little irritation and get the rest buttoned back up. :-)

Best, wes