Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'99 SW2 trans-axle fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Default '99 SW2 trans-axle fluid?

I have a '99 SW2 that is filling the bill as my commuter quite nicely, uses a little oil, but I am now going to begin administering an additive made known to me by the knowledgeable peeps here on this forum, and am hoping that it improves...it's right at 1 qt every 3 tanks (1000 mi.) right now...
What I'm wondering is: where do you guys and gals go to get your 5-spd gearbox/trans-axle fluid changed? I went to Oil Can Henry's today and they have NEVER had a call to do the trans-axle fluid change-out on a Saturn of this class, so they don't stock the fluid.
I've owned the car since February and do not intimately know it's history, although I have a ton of receipts that came with it...so I thought just as a preventative measure I'd do it and get it over with...no go!
Can anybody point me in the right direction with this? I'm NOT a mechanic and basically I screw up anything I try to do mechanicaly, so don't even want to think about doing it by myself...
Thanks,
Tim

Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 PM

I just changed mine in my 96sw1. Quite easy in my opinion. hardest part was finding the dip stick. It's right below the brake master cylinder and I had to take out the air intake tube in between the TB and air filter. Also used a long funnel in the check level hole to refill, worked quite nicely. One bolt in the bottom to take out to drain, leave dip stick out for easy draining. I think it's easier than changing the motor oil & filter. The book says 2.6 qts of Dexron3 ATF. I used syncromesh made by penzoil, some have used Mobil1 synthetic ATF. The book says to change it every 30k miles or 24 mths which ever come first. Hope this helps.
Rick

Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lilchief
I just changed mine in my 96sw1. Quite easy in my opinion. hardest part was finding the dip stick. It's right below the brake master cylinder and I had to take out the air intake tube in between the TB and air filter. Also used a long funnel in the check level hole to refill, worked quite nicely. One bolt in the bottom to take out to drain, leave dip stick out for easy draining. I think it's easier than changing the motor oil & filter. The book says 2.6 qts of Dexron3 ATF. I used syncromesh made by penzoil, some have used Mobil1 synthetic ATF. The book says to change it every 30k miles or 24 mths which ever come first. Hope this helps.
Rick
Whoah....dip stick?? You can check the level? And get a look at the quality of the fluid? I'd say you helped all right...thanks! I will start there...Dexron 3 ATF? Wonder why Oil Can Henry's couldn't figure that out? Seems that would be something they should have on hand, I'd think? This is getting a little weirder...