Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Removing Governor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Rew,

It was some interesting research --- never really thought about the mechanics involved with revolvers before.... pretty cool stuff.
________
Quite unrelated to attempted removal of Saturn governors, though...which was/is the topic of this thread....

So let's get back to business, shall we?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 AM

i dont know if its true or not but i heard this from other saturn forums if you have a manual transmission you simply switch your pcm with an automatic sl2/sc2 pcm and it will delete the rev and top speed governor like i said i only heard about it and am actually gonna try it when i get some extra cash

Old 02-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Default Governor

Originally Posted by saturn_ymi
i have a saturn sl1, but its not the car im talking about...
a buddy of mine has a sl2 and hes wondering how he can remove his governor... anyone know where it is on the sl2?
you can remove the governor on a manual by reprogramming the cpu so it has a higher speed limit before it activates. That way you still have your rev limiter but can use all 7k rpm that the 95 sl2 2.0 has to offer. I've gone 120 in 4th gear in my stock Saturn but as soon as I shifted into 5th it governed to 100. If you have the cpu reprogrammed to 145 it will be close to max. And btw if you are going over 120 the cops aren't allowed to give chase because it endangers the public. I would suggest doing an upgraded suspension before going above 130 the car gets a little floaty around 125.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm,

As far as I know,
--The PCMs used in he S-cars are not tunable - no one has ever cracked it to enable access to tuning anything. What software did you use to accomplish this? A GM dealer or Saturn dealer back in the day would certainly not do this as it would violate the approved configuration of the car and thus the warranty.
--All S cars had 1,9L engines -- every last one of them. You'd know that if you owned one.for 22 years (assuming you still have it)
--The governor on an S car DOHC engine is not set at 100 mph; I have gone faster than that in both my stock SC2s (in 5th gear, like that would matter anyway)
--The red line for a DOHC is 6500, not 7K. You'd know that if you owned one. It's marked right on that dial with the needle that shows you rpms x 1000 in real time.
--why would you want to push a DOHC to that high an rpm range when the additional heat will possibly varnish the oil control rings, leaving you with an oil burning engine
--I believe you're past the sweet spot of the torque curve at that rpm, so again, why run at such high rpms?
--A properly aligned S car with properly inflated tires gets floaty around 105.
--Exactly what parts would you install as suspension upgrades? Mine run stock. Could you please pass along manufacturer and part numbers needed to upgrade the suspension? I may look into it.
Thanks for the advice, Goalie. Good to know you're still out there. No one else would bother trying to get under my skin by posting knowingly incorrect info about S cars in such detail.
Awaiting answers to my questions.

Wouldn't have thought you'd troll us on S cars..I 'll leave your troll acct open for now.

Always good to hear from you,

Old 02-05-2018, 05:10 PM

I’m a little lost here, it doesn’t appear to be Goalie unless you’re seeing something I’m not... I’ve always known the S cars weren’t limited to 100mph, but my Ion governs out @108... at stock height and with stock rubber it’s a little floaty above 105 but most of the mods I’ve got planned reduce lift as a byproduct of reducing drag so in the end I might be safe at 110+(which still isn’t attainable in stock PCM anyway)

back on topic though, I’d like to know what mods short of forced induction (which would require standalone and would eliminate all factory limiters) that allows an S car to do 140+mph, as it won’t do it on 119hp, and there’s no reason to rev ANY LLO above 6k RPM due to the stroke length (92mm if I recall) and the stock cams’ lack of power up there anyway... ya trying to burn up engines? ‘Cause that’s what’ll happen...

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 02-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josiah Devault
you can remove the governor on a manual by reprogramming the cpu so it has a higher speed limit before it activates. That way you still have your rev limiter but can use all 7k rpm that the 95 sl2 2.0 has to offer. I've gone 120 in 4th gear in my stock Saturn but as soon as I shifted into 5th it governed to 100. If you have the cpu reprogrammed to 145 it will be close to max. And btw if you are going over 120 the cops aren't allowed to give chase because it endangers the public. I would suggest doing an upgraded suspension before going above 130 the car gets a little floaty around 125.
nice try buddy I had to replace my motor when I bought the car so I found a motor in the wrecking yard out of a 2002 saturn sky and yes it was turbocharged and yes it was a 2.0 it had obd2 and I used a standard programmar and code reader. Tough luck finding an obd1 programmer

Old 02-06-2018, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Goalie

Seeing as to how the Sky didn't exist until 2007, I doubt you found a Sky 2.0 Turbo engine in 2002.
Coupled with the fact that it's not anything close to a bolt-in......ummmmmm.....no.

Wow. If I had enough money to buy a non-existent sky redline engine (if you had it you'd know that's what it's called), I'd make sure to find a 23 year old incompatible Saturn chassis for the project..

And who cares that the engine management and diag is OBDII? None of the wiring matches up. Or did you redo that too and not tell us. Getting all those stock 95 gauges to be driven off the BCM ----oh WAIT -- you didn't swap in a BCM!! Damn shame since the transferred engine can't ever have the injectors enabled compliments of security and therefore the car would never run.
Attention to detail....please....

Remind me not to have you manage my retirement accounts.

Interestingly, you answered ZERO of my questions. Wonder why that is?

Getting bored, Goalie. I thought you would be more sophisticated and creative as a troll than you seem to be.

What a disappointment

PLEASE
Pop the hood, take 3 steps back, snap a pic, and post it so we know this vehicle exists.
Otherwise, we're not gonna come out to play anymore.

Oh, one more question:: Does the trunk release have an electrically actuated latch or is it just a manually operated release?
Oh hell, which side of the cluster is the oil pressure gauge on?
Where is the traction control button?

I could keep going but it's using up minutes of my life I can never get back...

Post a pic, will ya?

Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 AM
Default Just made this account to say

Devault got roasted by derf
gg

Old 06-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Old thread, man. Why bring it up? And most anyone that goes toe to toe with derf gets roasted. He's a buddy of mine and one of the smartest people I've ever known. And I have known a LOT of people over my 63 years on this planet!

Old 06-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Old thread, man. Why bring it up? And most anyone that goes toe to toe with derf gets roasted. He's a buddy of mine and one of the smartest people I've ever known. And I have known a LOT of people over my 63 years on this planet!
Why thank you, Rube. that is a pretty heavy-duty compliment coming from you given your wide-ranging experiences during your lifetime, the obstacles you have overcome, and all the other shayt that life has thrown at you and your wife.

In retrospect, I was a bit more hyper back then, as if that is not clear. Now, I don't have the time nor energy to be that way on the forum, nor is it really necessary in the first place.

I'm up for easy debates over complete BS but those rarely only occur anymore.

Both of you, thanks for your respective compliments. I do have to admit it was one of my favorites to write. Especially the part about the 2002 Saturn sky.....

Thought I had closed this thread

Quick Reply: Removing Governor