Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Pully Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Congratulations. As cars have become more complicated it does in truth get a lot harder to do your own repairs. The are needed less often due to reliability issues (good parts last longer before they become bad parts). Things are no longer needed to be repaired so they are more difficult to get to and some times need tools one does not have. So if you are successful at it two things have taken place. You have become better at what you are doing AND have discovered that there is no sense in paying some one else a lot of money to basically sometimes NOT fix your car WHEN you can do the same thing your self oh so much cheaper.
Which reminds me I have having fuel injection problem and the error codes are not sufficient to point me in the proper direction so I am going to have to go out and hook up a fuel pressure gauge in order to watch fuel pressure, an important part of how fuel injection works and using a tool that I never had to have before, monitor the MAP sensor out put signal with a digital volt meter (available from Harbor Freight on sale for generally $2.00. That just amazes me, a while back I pad almost $300.00 for one that had a special scale on it though) and start the car cold and watch it while it warms up. That should be interesting. And I need a definition of OPEN LOOP operation a mode that things go through during warm up where as close as I can tell everything is monitored etc except the O2 sensor. It would be nice to know how true that is.
Maybe I can spot the reason for the problem.

I think I finally need to buy a scan tool that reads OBDII and OBDI but the one I am looking at specifically says that it is not for use on Saturn S series cars. Anyone know why?