Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Pully Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Default Pully Noise?

Okay, okay I know what your thinking... search and you will find the answer dummy! But this is different I swear!

Long Story Short as some of you might remember my last post I just finished up Sorting out my AC issues. I installed a new AC compressor (properly) my self to keep labor costs down. Not my first time. I took it to my mechanic though to have it properly flushed, vaccumed and refilled with freon. My mechanic got to checking it out and realized that the remanufactured (new) compressor was defected and had me go swap it out. He uninstalled the bad one, installed the good one set me up and now I have freezing cold AC just in time for the hot weather!

The issue is I noticed on the way to work tonight that now there is a whining noise coming from one of the pullies or belt I think. Here is what I know for sure...

1. The AC compressor is good and blowing cold air...
2. When I had the the AC bipassed with a smaller belt there was no noise
3. Sounds like a power steering whine but it doesnt change pitch when I turn the wheel. Pretty sure its not that

So can the added tension of the AC compressor be putting a strain on something else? I'm kind of puzzled being that the AC compressor is good and the noise wasn't there prior. I had trouble pin-pointing where it was coming from when I popped the hood at work (very short on time). Im gonna get a better look tomorrow. Anyone had this issue?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned

Well, you just had the A/C worked on, so the first thing I'd check is to make sure the belt is tracking properly on the pulley. Second issue would be to check the belt itself for being worn out (I know you used a smaller belt for a while, the correct one may have dry-rotted). Third issue would be the tensioner system itself. If it wasn't set right, the belt is gonna slip and squeak ...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Maybe a bearing going out in the belt tensioner?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Yeah. I checked it out further when I got off work in the light. The best I can tell the sound is coming from the idler pully. Thats a cheap part so I am going to start from there. Im going to go ahead a replace the belt at the same time. And I looked it seems to be tracking well on the ac pully and everything appears to be in line. That idler pully is taking much more tension and strain now that the belt is going up to the ac compressor where as before it was just barley touching heading in a downward direction. Thanks for the advice. Ill keep you guys posted.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Third issue would be the tensioner system itself. If it wasn't set right, the belt is gonna slip and squeak ...

BTW. The tensioner is a quick release type on my car. You just put a wrench or socket on it and pull and it releases the tension. From what I understood it automatically applied the correct tension to the belt once released. Is there some additional adjustment to it?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

nope -- it either provides the correct tension or it is worn out out and doesn't

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM

That is the exact thing my car was doing. I revved the car up and it would go away. Drove it like that for 2 months before my belt went flying off behind me. Got it home pulled the drivers side apart and found out my spring in the belt tensioner blew into a million pieces. Replaced it and now runs and sounds like it should.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Default Update!

Ok so I went and purchased a new belt and a new idler pulley. After pulling the belt off I inspected it. It was a different brand but the exact same length belt that is specified for my car with the A/C. So I nicked the belt being the issue but installed the new one anyways.

After pulling the idler pulley off I inspected it and found that the bearing was going bad. So I installed the new one, put the new belt on and the noise is gone! Runs as quiet as a brand new one!

Thanks for everyone's help and remember to check the idler pulley if you are hearing a belt noise! They are cheap (under $20) and relatively easy to replace with a few basic tools!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sometimes information you find on a forum really helps, doesn't it?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sometimes information you find on a forum really helps, doesn't it?

Yeah I have found a ton of good stuff up here. Not to mention the regulars have been very helpfull! Thanks!