Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Problem with 99 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Default Problem with 99 SL2

Ok guys, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's exactly wrong with my car.

The car starts fine, the Shifter moves fine and you can change the gears, the Transmission engages but the car won't move at all. (if it helps I've been having a problem with shift linkage cables breaking.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Clutch
Slave
Cables if they are disconnected

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM

the cables are connected

Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

Assuming that this is a manual transmission, my first concern would be the clutch and associated areas ...

Old 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Yes it's a manual transmission.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

What was the sequence of events leading up to this situation?
Any idea why you've been breaking shifter cables?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by derf
What was the sequence of events leading up to this situation?
Any idea why you've been breaking shifter cables?

Ok a couple of weeks ago the car got stuck at my Wife's college (wouldn't change gears, I believe it was stuck in first gear.) So me and my father - in law replaced the cables the next day. (this was in Late January, the shifter was a little stiff after the change, but the cables were installed correctly.) (it's the third time since last August that I've had the Shift linkage cables break at the same spot.)

I assumed something was binding the cables so when I installed them the last time I made sure nothing was catching them to cause the binding.) The other day I was on my way to fix someone's Computer, I had just got off the highway and the car started to lose power and wouldn't accelerate really at all and was getting stuck in first. so I pulled the car over. I checked the cables they were binding and bending at the usual spot. I bracketed the cable before the shifter to stop the Bending, so I could get it home. Once I did that the car shifted and the transmission was catching and engaging but the car still wouldn't accelerate. I know it's not the cables now, The car isn't working with another set in it. So I'm assuming it's something with the clutch or transmission.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Right now the cheapest I've found for someone to replace the clutch if that is indeed what's wrong is 650 counting Labor and parts.