Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

98 SL Computer won't read

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Default 98 SL Computer won't read

I took the car for state emissions inspection and they said they couldn't get a reading connecting to the computer.

Mechanic says the horn is always on and it's on the same circuit as the connector for the computer. He replaced a fuse that was burnt out and the horn came on and stayed on. He says that's causing the issue with them not being able to get readings with the computer so we can't get it inspected. Does anyone what anything about this. thanks.

Previous owner disabled the horn or something in the security system and had a mechanic add an external horn to the dash. Does anyone know if the relay on the horn can mess up the circuit for the computer test connector? It worked this way for 7 years so I'm not sure what might have change other than a relay going bad.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Well, if the horn is coming on all the time, it means that there is a short in the control circuit between the horn relay and the horn ring on your steering wheel. Since the RKE module also feeds that circuit, I suspect you need to trace it down. Unless you are very proficient in such matters, your best bet is a trip to the nearest dealership ...

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM

The RKE module is at the heart of many possible problems with these cars. Why Saturn runs so many circuits thru one box is beyond me. My SL1 failed to start because the start relay is grounded thru the RKE module. I just found a shorted module is blowing my BODY fuse, killing my dome, cargo lights and my door locks. And guess what else won't work - my code reader will not powerup because the computer DLC is dead. I wired a work around the starter relay and will do the same for every circuit thru the RKE module. Stay tuned...