Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Power issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Default Power issue

I am having an issue with my '93 SL2 not starting up. I had the battery checked, which had a bad cell so I changed it out. It worked fine for a day or two and started back with the same issue. I jumped it and got it going again and pulled the battery cables to rule out the alternator. No issue there.
I did have the prolock ignition system bypassed at the dealership about a year ago and am wondering if it could be a short in the ignition. There are also 3 ignition fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Are they all needed or can I pull them one by one to see if it helps?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quick question here -- is it an original starter ????

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I believe it is.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

The internal contact in the starter is probably fried. Same thing happened to my 93sw2. Chased it for almost a year before finding the problem .....

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Would that cause the battery to drain almost immediately?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned

Hmmmm ..... it should not do that, but the symptoms will make you think the battery is weak/dead. One other possibility, and maybe you should do it first - replace the positive main battery cable. Sometimes the acid from the battery will suck up under the insulation, and rot the cable from the inside - again, acting like a bad battery

Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM

I was reading some of the threads with power issues. Someone had the same symptoms as I do. All the advice I read with people and power issues was to check either the positive or negative battery cables. I will check those and let you know.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Ok, Now I'm not getting the power drop when I drive so I think it was the negative power cable and the car just wasn't able to ground correctly. Now I'm having issues with having enough juice to start the car. Going to get the battery tested since it was charged and drained multiple times during the troubleshooting process. Hopefully that is the final issue!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

probably trashed that battery from the repeated heavy draining.....

please let us know

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 AM

Ok, finally got my brothers DVM and checked voltage on the battery. New battery is good with 12.5V but when the car is on voltage drops to 12.3V. Should be reading around 14V. I'm guessing the bad negative battery cable was causing issues with the alternator?. I am going to change it out within the next couple days. Will update after I change it out.

Quick Reply: Power issue