Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Possible cracked cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Default Possible cracked cylinder

I have a 1998 Saturn SL2. It's been running perfectly except for either burning or leaking a little bit of coolant. (Every once in a while I have to pour some in) and once a few months ago it started steaming or smoking from the coolant container.

Anyway, two days ago on my way to work I noticed a strange smell, and when I parked at work there was white smoke coming out of my hood. It was a lot more smoke than the time I saw my coolant burning. That's because it was oil. There was oil all over between the fan and the engine. It looked like it had sprayed all around (there was some on the top of the hood too.)

I had to get to work, but after my shift I came out and noticed that there was tons of oil all over the ground. On further inspection I found that some of it was black on my fingers, and some was green (the coolant i put in was orange, but I assume it changes colors?).

When I had the car towed, I noticed that it was not one puddle of coolant and oil, but a puddle of coolant under the coolant tank, and a puddle of oil under the middle of the engine, and they were mixing as they spread out on the pavement.

Also of note, Inside of my coolant container, around the top there is a black pasty liquid. It's very thick. It might be the burnt antifreeze from before but I'm not sure.

I talked to a few people and someone said it's most likely a cracked cylinder, which would cost more to repair than the car itself. ]= Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Your colourful description leads a body to suspect that major hurt has been heaped upon this little engine. Unless you have a spare engine sitting on your back shelf, ready to install, I would seriously review your limited options (boat anchor, snapper reef, etc)

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

Hey Nonis, I'm new to this forum, where are you located. I might have a solution to your problem.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Why would I give my location if you haven't posted your solution. I live in Wisconsin but I'd rather know your solution before I tell you any more, and why you need my location for it to apply.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

I have a 1999 SL1 w/ 76,000mls, car is in great condition inside and out. The paints clear coat is starting to peel. The kelley blue book on this car is from $3200.00 - $4400.00. I do not have the title it is being held on lock by the GA DMV and they will not release it to me. You can get a great car for your project or daily driver. I am located in Miami. My loss is your gain, price is $1800.00 firm, If interested I can provide pics at your rquest. Thanks. My email is: ICapeles@msn.com

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

Sounds like this may turn out to be a training exercise in transportation pricing and logistics. Good luck with it .........

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Pap,

and also have a notarized letter from the owner stating it is his vehicle and will be sold as a parts car not for legal use on the highways.
and

When they inspected the car they failed it because the air bag light was on and they put some kind of block on the title until he corrects the prob. He chose to ship the car back down to me so that I could sell it here in Fl. Since they don’t care if the air bag lights are on or not. When he tried to order a duplicate title here in Fl. They could not give him one because they said GA had already started the titling process and they put a block on the title.
from your classified post response today regarding this vehicle.

So it is not your car and you are advertising it as a possible daily driver in one spot, but indicating it cannot be used for one in another.....

You'll likely get much better response from forum folks if you're fully transparent from the start

Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Well I am pretty much positive it's the head gasket now. At least I think so. I tossed some oil and coolant back in and ran it and after about 10 seconds oil was dripping out from between the engine block and cylinder head... \=

Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

well it starts so you have compression on at least a few cylinders. May be head gasket, way be cracked head.

Do a compression check before you pull the head to try to localize the problem.

You may also have a cracked head

Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Hey Derf,
I don't remember advertising it as a daily driver, I do remember saying it used to be my wife's daily driver before I sold it to my buddy. I am trying to give someone a good oppty to buying a great parts car, engine and tranny has 76,000 original mls interior is in great shape A/C is awesome body is in great shape.
I thought I explained the circumstance of the car on another thread, however you keep ragging on me and I don't have an idea why. If I were to pull the engine from this car and sell it as just the engine it would be the same as selling the entire car without a title, especially having a letter from the owner which is notorized explaining that this car is not for use on highways but being sold as a parts car; (salvage vehicle). With a clean title this cars blue book value is in $3000-$3800 range. I am selling it for $1800 as salvage and I can get a transporter to deliver from $500-$650 depending on area.
I can also pull the engine and sell complete for $900 + shipping add tranny $450. Better deal for me would be to part it out but I don't want to go thru the hassel unless it's worth my while.
Derf, I'm not trying to get over on anyone just trying to help people out especially in this economy. If I can't sell as a whole within the next week, the I'll post it as parting out and try to help you guys out on as much as I can before call the junk yard to pick up.
I should have just told my buddy that I didn't want to get involved, but it's in my nature to be helpfull, so not only am I trying to help you guys out, but him as well.
Thanks guy's.

Quick Reply: Possible cracked cylinder