PO132 and PO172 codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Good plan.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

DFG0916

Is listed as the premium pump on RockAuto. If nowhere else the part number you purchased should be on your AutoZone receipt.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Default Testing… Testing!

Testing… Testing!

Thanks for that information Derf! I can hunt for my receipt to check that number, but I really trust the manager, and he said that's the pump I got. New results: I removed the old fuel filter, and before cutting the return port pipe off of it, I attached a hose to it to see if it performs like the new Autozone filter at the return port, applying mouth pressure and suction like I did on the new Autozone filter. I found that it has absolutely no resistance either way, whereas the Autozone filter definitely has strong resistance so that I cannot perceive any pressure or vacuum release or movement.

Now that I have cut the return port pipe off of the old filter, I had to ride my bike to O'Reillys to get a longer piece of hose to protect myself from any leaking gasoline. I'm getting ready to quick connect it to the return line of the tank and see if it resists mouth pressure or vacuum to make sure that return line to the tank is not blocked. I'll report back shortly.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Default Return line not blocked!

No resistance at all on that return line - to mouth pressure or vacuum!

I'm going to go ahead and install the new filter.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:26 PM
Default Fuel filter was the problem!

With the new filter installed, I turned the key on one time, Heard the fuel pump kick in, and left the key on, and watched the pressure very slowly rise to 40 psi and stop there. Turning the key off I wanted to see how durable that 40 psi would be as I repeatedly depressed the pressure relief button on the gauge. Every time I pushed that button the pressure would drop maybe 1 to 3 pounds. That's all! After pushing the button at least 20 times, I had the pressure on the gauge down to about 18 pounds. This says that the "checkvalve" in the fuel pump has to have back pressure from the fuel pump's regulator to close and hold pressure toward to the injector rail.

Confident that things were better, I started the engine and watched the fuel gauge rise again very slowly to 66 psi and stay there. I ran the engine up to running temperature and then shut it off.

The pressure on the gauge VERY SLOWLY Dropped to about 42 psi before I got hungry and decided to eat lunch. I'll leave the gauge hooked up and see what it says when I come back.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Default Pressure dropped to 10 psi

Turning the key on after returning from lunch, and cranking it immediately it fired immediately with no delay like there has been up to this point. However the pressure on the gauge after starting, stayed at 10 psi but the engine continued to run.

Starting it again, it was instant in starting (What I have been wanting to see). I let it run until the engine was fully warmed. I never saw 66 psi again, but The gauge stayed below 10 psi????? I heard the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds, but the gauge didn't move. No fuel leaks anywhere to be observed. I'm going to take it for a test drive, and leave the fuel pressure gauge attached.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Default Conclusion: Test drive was enjoyable!

I am thinking that the fuel pressure test gauge failed at the end of last session. The test drive I just took leaves nothing to be wanted! Instant starting, smooth, perfect idle, great power! I even drove it like a hot rod a little bit and the performance is great! I will disconnect the battery at bedtime and see if any codes appear in tomorrow's driving.

Thanks to all who contributed to what seems to have been the cure!

Old 04-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

You never really know what you are getting when you bring home a loan. As I'm sure you have figured, your vehicle will not run on 10 psi of fuel pressure so there is something wrong with the measurement.

You can just pull the PCM fuses for about 10 minutes. Does the equivalent of erasing stored codes without having to mess with the battery. PCM fuse B if I remember correctly. Double check.

Always happy to put another s car back on the road. Plus you'll never need anyone else to do your fuel system work from here forward.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Default Service engine light went off!

Service engine light went off! I didn't even have to disconnect anything. The light just went off while I was driving.. That sure makes me a happy person after four weeks of mystery. Thanks again for your help! I will not forget your helpful counsel!

Old 04-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Great news, a cure. Enjoy your ride, happy if I helped.
Andy

Quick Reply: PO132 and PO172 codes