Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Gee, thanks derf. I'm trying to keep people coming back to the forum, not run them off with so much technical stuff! LOL You keep doing what you're doing and I'll keep it my way, just in case someone else is as feeble minded as me! I sent you a PM and am texting you a photo. This is messed up!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM

I'm gonna be honest with y'all I've replaced every single part, crank sensor, pcm, icm, coils,, plugs, wires, still no spark, tach still shows 0 rpm. I've check all the fuses, I've checked the grounds. I have no codes, the security light is not on, so what now lol, maybe a bad sensor or pcm from the parts store?

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM

What about the ECTS? I don't know if it'll create a no spark condition, but I do know that if it's flaky, your car will run like crap and do all kinds of weird stuff. Whattaya say, derf? Can a faulty ECTS cause a no spark condition? If you haven't replaced that, Chris, then DO NOT get an aftermarket one from Autovancereilly. This is a part best purchased from a Saturn friendly GM dealership. Along with the sensor, the pigtail is a recommended replacement item. But first, check the damned plug on your. It's a squeeze type connector and one of mine was actually broken and causing me problems. Since I'd already purchased the sensor and pig tail, I just replaced them both. Took care of my erratic idle and some other funky stuff going on with the way it ran.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Christian Mccuiston
I'm gonna be honest with y'all I've replaced every single part, crank sensor, pcm, icm, coils,, plugs, wires, still no spark, tach still shows 0 rpm. I've check all the fuses, I've checked the grounds. I have no codes, the security light is not on, so what now lol, maybe a bad sensor or pcm from the parts store?
I'm gonna be honest with ya.

Aside from the CKP resistance test, I have not heard one mention of you measuring ANYTHING.

Not one other thing we suggested.

Have you tried ANY of the tests any of us have recommended?

You STILL haven't told us how you are concluding no spark, and from what it sounds like, you've shotgunned hundreds of dollars of parts into a $500 vehicle hoping you'd get lucky and replace a bad component of the system without having to bother troubleshooting nor understanding.

I've given you voltages to look for at certain places in the ignition system to guide you to the fault but you seem genuinely uninterested in analyzing the situation yourself.

We are happy to help you try to fix your ride, but we cannot and will not fix it FOR you. Your participation is kinda important. If you want to play musical parts, that's your choice -- but if that's the case, please stop asking us for help because that's not how to troubleshoot, and the more questions of ours you leave unanswered, the less we are inclined to pay attention.

Just calling it like I see it

Old 08-31-2017, 07:05 PM

Alright it was the pcm, I just to to get a scan tool and unlock, and btw derf you where real helpful at first and I appreciate that, but try not to sound condescending, i said it had no spark, it would take someone completely ignorant to just decide that with out testing it. And as for throwing a lot of money at it, it was going to be done anyways because this is a low mileage vehicle that was bought for a friend you is literately going to drive the wheels off of it, she has owned three, and will have many more to come. Sorry if I came off as a *****, the help was appreciated.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting us know your solution. I'm glad you got your ride fixed.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Ditto what Andy said. And as for derf, he's really a great guy. He doesn't mean anything when he gets on someone. Don't take it personally. He's one of those guys that gets very involved in researching things and trying to help people. I think he just gets frustrated when things don't get checked the way he'd do them! I love the guy. This forum wouldn't operate without him.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Christian Mccuiston
Alright it was the pcm, I just to to get a scan tool and unlock, and btw derf you where real helpful at first and I appreciate that, but try not to sound condescending, i said it had no spark, it would take someone completely ignorant to just decide that with out testing it. And as for throwing a lot of money at it, it was going to be done anyways because this is a low mileage vehicle that was bought for a friend you is literately going to drive the wheels off of it, she has owned three, and will have many more to come. Sorry if I came off as a *****, the help was appreciated.
Christian,
1). Happy your Satty is up and running. Your gut feeling was correct and you went with it. The PCM failure rate for the S cars went from almost nil through 2nd gen to too high on 3rd gen when the s got a BCM. Always one of my guesses after there is nothing left to troubleshoot.

2). Although I fight it, my apparent condecention is actually the expression of frustration associated with trying to help someone to help themselves but getting zero feedback on suggestions that take more than a few minutes to type up. You are not the first to come to the Forum, ask for help, receive recommendations, and then give no indication whatsoever if you are following them, at the same time continuing on their own path of swap a part. Just makes it virtually impossible for us to help you because we don't know where the cheese is because you keep moving it.
My incessant requesting was with regards to HOW you determined there was no spark, not that your assessment was incorrect. Knowing where in the system the problem has been observed can shave hours off of troubleshooting. That's why I kept asking. You are obviously not a moron and I was not trying to treat you as one. As an aside, many of moron has indeed posted on this site during my 13 year run of moderating. I do not respond by belittling them. I respond by teaching them. Or trying to anyway. But there are few things that infuriate me more then folks who ask for help but show no signs of accepting it. I am very passionate in everything I do and helping people on this form is no exception. Just because someone does not want to follow what they are hearing is not a reason to ride someone in and of itself. Combine it with total lack of response to specific questions and I lose my desire to be of help out of frustration.

In retrospect I should not be getting so bent out of shape about a stranger's car that does not run but I want it to run, have been asked to help to make it run, and honestly cannot understand why people seemingly ignore advice and suggestions from the people they came to for help.

My problem is that I never want to walk away. Abandon the quest in search of the answer. So, when met with no responses to key questions or suggestions, I either uninvolve myself or let the poster know exactly what is on my mind and why. It is passion that drives me, Not tooting my own horn. I have my wife for that.

My apologies if I have offended you. Except in rare cases that is never my intent. Sometimes the most basic question leads directly to the most straightforward answer. Which is why I always ask that question.

I appreciate your feedback on how I come across on this forum. Most people do not bother to give me any. You are always welcome back. For the Love of Saturns, please just take 30 seconds to answer the questions we pose.

Derf

Last edited by derf; 09-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.