Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

New to the forum questions about SL2

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Default New to the forum questions about SL2

Hello and thanks for reading my post. I have owned my 98 SL2 for about 4 years and I am starting to have some problems and am hoping you can lend me a hand. First off for a while now my saturn has been hard to start unless I turn the key on and let the fuel pump run for a little while. If I do not do this my car will start with extended cranking but when it does start it will try to stall and the only way to keep it running is to put the pedal to the floor until the car smooths out. The car performs well once started. Also I have noticed that in the past few months that my fuel mileage has dropped about 4 to 5 miles per gallon. I also noticed that the factory temperature gauge seems to be running a little lower than normal when up to operating temperature. I have been leaning towards an oxygen sensor for the fuel mileage but would like some expert opinions before I spend a bunch of money.

Tanks for the help.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) and its associated electrical connector. Get parts at a "Saturn sensitive" GM dealership. Total cost will be about $40usd for the parts .......

Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

+1...........

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

Sorry there -- I addressed the problem of the temperature gauge and the loss of mileage, but I forgot to talk about the hard-start ... my bad.

While the ECTS will affect the hard-start problem, I have found that Saturns (over the years) seem to have a minor problem of fuel pressure loss (flowback) especially when the tank is low, and you park the car nose-up on a grade. No pattern of models or years, just seems to happen. Use a meter on the fuel rail to check for proper pressures, and if it really becomes a problem, entertain the notion of replacing the fuel delivery system ...

Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM

I have ordered the engine temperature sender along with a thermostat and a fuel filter. The car is not getting warm like it should. I thought I would try these items and see how it responds. Thanks for all of the info.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Update. I replaced my ECTS, thermostat and fuel filter. Cars warms up nicely now doesn't appear to have a hard start condition anymore. It also idles at a more normal speed and doesn't rev up when put in to park. After doing the repairs and driving for about sixty miles the SES light came on and I had to replace the Oxygen sensor which I guess is normal since my car was running rich.

I would like to thank all of you for your help with diagnosing my problems.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Now that it's running post a picture of that Saturn.