Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Ugh. Swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Default Ugh. Swap issues

So two weeks ago I did the rear disk swap on my sl2, since who-ever serviced those drum brakes before i got the car did something very very wrong. those sucked. it was very, very easy surprisingly, until I got to the E-brake. To begin with, I had forgotten to order the new cables, so I couldnt do anything for a week. When I finally got the new cables, I put them in, but I can only attach one side at a time. If I attach the cable to the calipers first, I cant get the adjuster back into the e-brake lever. If I attach the lever side first, I cant get the cable to hook into the caliper. Its all very confusing.

The cables I bought were Raybestos for the disk brake system. For some reason, all auto parts stores dont have a listing for any of the 99+ s-series saturns with disk brakes, so I ordered ones for a 98 (no difference right?)
the cable is 67 5/8" long as said by raybestos.

Im going to look at it again tomorrow, since I will have access to a lift for 2 or 3 hours. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it

Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

ummm

no clue if they changed it and can't remember what year your car is but keep in mind that the 2nd gen sedans started in 96 and the third gen in 2000.

saturnwiki tells me e brake cable changed 6 times up through 97

start googling -- there's alot out there

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Yea thats what I saw so I ordered ones for 98'
Mines a 99', so im still the second gen body, Ill do some more searchin before I get the car on the lift. If anything, Ill pull the cable and try putting it in again, since when I do miss the caliper / lever i only need a 1/4 inch more cable

Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 PM

So, I did some more searching, and I have decided to order cables for an older year/long wheelbase (93-94) since the protective casing is the same size but the cable inside is 2" longer than the ones i ordered.

what a pita this is...