Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

name of this hose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Default name of this hose?

Hi, all,

I'm new, so excuse me if I'm inept. I just failed a smog inspection because of a disintegrating hose in my 1999 Saturn. It seems quite easy to install, and I'd like to order it online if possible. I have uploaded a photo with the hose in question circled in red. I'd be most grateful if someone could identify it for me.

Many thanks,
Maidel

Attached Thumbnails name of this hose?-1999saturnhose.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM

I'm not positive, but I THINK it's your PCV emissions hose. Someone with more knowledge than me will give you a positive answer. Just hang in there. And by the way, welcome to the forum.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Not sure on the name of it but I had the same hose go bad and it is a dealer item. What I was able to do as I not have emission checks here is took it to the local parts house and find a preformed hose that is 3/8 inside diameter with 2 90 degree turns on it and cut it in half and put a peice of tubing between then to get the right length between the turns.
If that makes sense if not I will take a pic and send it.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks so much! Exactly the info I need. I thought maybe I could go to Pep Boys and get something that would work. The smog check guy won't know it's not a factory ordered part...I hope. Thanks again!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

Rube's got it right -- PCV emissions hose. Be sure that the PCV valve is working when you change the hose

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM

It's part of the PVC system, but it is the fresh air supply hose. The PVC hose goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold and the PCV valve is at the vave cover end of that hose, which goes top the center of the valve cover.

The intake manifold vacuum sucks out some air and oil fumes through the PCV Valve and its hose. This hose is between the throttle body and the air filter and it provides filtered make up air so that you build up a vacuum under the valve cover and in the crankcase. That would not be good. A disintegrating hose would allow unfiltered air into the engine which would contaminate the oil.

If you have a bad PCV Valve, pressure could build up under the valve cover forcing oil fumes into this hose and into the throttle body and ultimately into the engine to burn. As far as smog control goes, that still burns the offending fumes, but it does cause the hose to disintegrate, which would let those fumes out into the atmosphere and will gum up your throttle body and IAC which will lead to other problems.

I agree with the previous recommendation to replace the PCV Valve while you are at it, it only costs a couple of bucks.