Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

For the love of God PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Actually no I have not. How can you test them? The dealer never mentioned it at all and he worked on it for about 3-4 hours. The service engine light, to my knowledge, has been reset. It is not on anymore, however, it still flashes if you keep it floored but then goes off after you let off the gas.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM

take it to an auto parts store.. ie oreilys, advanced auto, autozone.. they should be able to test them there.. like i said thats what it sound like to me.. it would cause a misfire, drop in gas mialage, los of power. i think they are about $40-$70 each and there are two.. one on the left for cylinder 4-1 and the one on the right for cylinder 2-3. btw the fireing order is 4-1-2-3 from left to right on the coil packs.. it should say on a sticker on the upper front frame.. try these first before you junk it.. after all with all the wrork you have put into it $80-$150 is not all that much if thats all thats wrong with it.. then you know you have a good reliable car.. and you said the car sat for a while they could just be coroted.. try cleaning them first with some battery corrosion cleaner, cables and connectors, let them dry and see if that helps.. if not like i said they should be able to test them free and aand auto parts store.... try this and let us know im interested in knowing if this is your problem... good luck!!

Old 05-10-2008, 05:50 AM

Will do. I will be out of town this weekend and hope to do it Monday. Thanks for the idea.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 AM

You can test the coil packs yourself.

With the car in the shade, disconnect the wires from the coil packs. Have someone crank the engine and watch the sparks jumping across the towers. You should see a pretty good spark alternating from each set.

Dont try this on other cars with direct ignition systems though. It could damage the system. But because of Saturns design, it's safe to do.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 AM

wow i never knew that... good info to know.. especially when you consider the price of new packs. and auto parts stores will only return an electrical item if it has a defect and then you only get an excange...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Spark is great! Still at a loss.... [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM

could be the wires?? have you replaced them and the plugs?? plugs will make it almost impossible to drive... when i got my integra i could bearly take off from a stop.. other that that i dont know what to tell you...

is it possible that even though it is sparking that maybe they arent sparking enough?? idk i still think you should have them tested.... man this is impossible.. good luck!!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Tested the wires too....they are good. Plugs are brand new platinums (the cheap ones).

I'm still clueless... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by inasho
Plugs are brand new platinums
That could be part of your problem. Get some AC Delcos or NGK's before you do permanently damage to your ignition system with the platinums.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 AM

Really? I will get them as soon as I drop off my son at the babysitter. I'll let you know in a couple of hours.

Quick Reply: For the love of God PLEASE HELP!!!