Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

For the love of God PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Once its running smoothly, replace the plugs, oil and filter.
OK. To make sure I understand. I drain the oil, pull the oil filter and spark plugs. I pour the sea foam, or whatever cleaner I get, into the cylinders, let it sit overnight to soak and turn the engine to "squish" the stuff out. Does this about sum it up? If so, I will do that tonight.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Nope.

Leave the oil and filter on/in the car.

-Remove the plugs
-Pour in the cleaner
-Put the plugs back in to keep the solvent from evaporating.
-Let sit over night
-Remove the spark plugs
-Get solvent out of the cyliners. Either by sucking it out or cranking the engine (with the spark plugs removed!!!).
-Put in the old plugs and start the engine. You'll get some heavy smoke out of the tail pipe and the remaining solvent will foul the plugs. During the soaking, some will also seep into the crankcase and mix with the oil.
-Once the smoking goes away, stop the engine, replace the old plugs with new ones and now replace the oil and filter.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM

GOTCHA! Will do as soon as I pick up my kids. You have me excited now that this may fix it! WOO HOO!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Hopefully that will do it. If not, at least you have a new filter, new oil, new plugs and clean cylinders.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM

OK....BAD NEWS!!! The last couple of days has prevented me from doing anything at all due to the rain and storms. I did get out there this morning and double checked the compression before I did anything. EVERY cylinder was between 180-185 now. So, since it was up to the pressure you stated earlier, I opted not to put the SeaFoam directly in the cylinders. Instead, I poured half the can in the crankcase and half in the intake while it was running. Of course it died, but it is currently sitting and will sit until I go pick up my kids.

It does rev up a tad bit faster, but I noticed something with the throttle. If it is half way down, it will rev up to about 4000 rpm. If you floor it, it goes up to 4000 and then dies down to 3000 and then back up to 4000 back and forth. After I put the stuff in the crank, I let it warm up and drove it down the road....no improvement. I then parked it in idle and poured the rest in the intake throttle...where it sits now.

I have been running synthetic oil in it, as did my brother when he had it, and have a new oil and filter to change. I am ready to throw this thing out the door. It looks like new inside and out and it is just this problem that is plaguing me to no end...I'm gonna go bald before this is fixed I'm afraid. [img]smileys/smiley34.gif[/img]

Any other ideas?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by inasho
If you floor it, it goes up to 4000 and then dies down to 3000 and then back up to 4000 back and forth.
Thats normal. It the rev limiter.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

The problem is that it still has no power and when I drive it the rpms still will not go higher than 4000. Not that I'm running it hard, but it revs out unless I let off the gas. It still will not go any more than 70 mph and it still boggs out with full throttle.

I pretty much figured that it had some sort of protection, but I wasn't sure. Is there a way to eliminate or bypass this feature to get the car to run higher when I drive?

Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM

The 4000 rpm rev limit is when the car is in park/neutral. While the car is in motion the limit should be around 6400.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
The 4000 rpm rev limit is when the car is in park/neutral. While the car is in motion the limit should be around 6400.
That's just it, when I drive, it still goes no higher than 4000. What happens is that as it goes from one gear to another, it revs up as if it is going uphill under a load. The only way I can get it to shift gears is to let off the gas. If I am going downhill, it will shift normally. Either way, it still has no power.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM

this maybe a stupid question but have you tested or replaced the coil packs?? i dorve a 96-99 sl1 auto that was doing exactly the same thing and it turned out to be a bad coil pack... im sure you havend overlooked this and having it into the dealer im sure they cheked it too.. and as for the rpms not going high even in gear, some gm cars limit the rpms when the service negine is on.. i had a grand am with the service enging light on and the traction contol wouldnt turn on and the revs where limited... but like i said check the coil packs.. (on the transmition to the right of the motor) other than that idk what it might be.. i dont have a vast knowlage on saturns.. just starting out. thats just my experience.. good luck!!

Quick Reply: For the love of God PLEASE HELP!!!