Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Looking at a '96 SL...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Default Looking at a '96 SL...advice?

So I've found this thing:
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/ctd/1988259952.html

I'm in desperate need of a vehicle, and this looks to be close to what I want. I really do love my '97 Neon and am a Mopar fan for sure, but the previous owner really did a number on it and we haven't managed to fix or even diagnose it yet, after four years. Time for a new car, but it's slim pickins around here. The SL seems to be a good GM analog, and the closest thing I've found. From what I can see, they have similar power(sort of...), gas mileage, weight, and reliability to the Neon, supposedly good handling...even the noisy engine and rivalry between SOHC and DOHC owners. The cars have entirely different personalities, but the soul seems the same, if you get me.

So, am I looking at the right vehicle in that respect?

If so, I have a bunch of questions:

1- That's an SL1, right? The mid level model?

2- Is that a good price? KBB is over $2k...keep in mind the used market sucks here

3- I read a lot about Saturns slowly starting to use oil after a while...is this a serious issue? I read somewhere about them not smoking, but not leaking either, which to me would indicate slowly wearing piston rings...?

4- Any other common problems I should know about? The stuff MSN listed was minor...

5- How do they take to being revved up? I really love the Neon's free-revving engine and am used to it, but I don't want to damage anything on this or significantly shorten its lifespan. It already has 130k...

6- Are they easy to work on? My experience with them is limited to watching my dad fixing grandma's shifter linkage with electrical tape :/

7- Just how well do they handle? I've heard they're good, but a 1st gen Neon is a tough act to follow.

8- Would you, the fellow who likes saturns enough to join a forum on them, buy that one?

Thanks for any help!
-John

Last edited by Drenlin; 10-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 AM

It's 14 years old with over 100k
You can afford it.
I own a 94
I rented neons, wouldn't own one. The Saturn is a higher level car. It does not make any difference, it's 14 years old and available.
They are easy to fix. Buy a manual.
No engine likes to be twisted too tight. Even if it is fun.
They seem to have developed a reputation of burning oil.
Use heavier weight motor oil and check it often. Oil is cheap, not checking it is expensive.
I'm not sure I would spend 2 grand on a 14 year old car of any kind, specially one that is made by a company no longer in business unless it was a Bently, but that is me.
I like my 94. It's a dual overhead cam and a coupe with automatic. It pleases me.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

too $$$

Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

I'm with Derf -- get them to come down on the price