Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Knocking Noise Front Suspension/Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Default Knocking Noise Front Suspension/Steering

Over the past couple of months I have developed a knocking noise in the front end suspension or steering components. Actually, it is less of an audible knocking and more so felt through the steering wheel and floor. Along with the knocking, the steering wheel also develops some slight play when it occurs which is generally slow moving over small bumps and when turning. I also feel the general vehicle's handling is worse - like I have less control when trying to hold it steadily in the lane on the interstate with just slight wind and the wind created from larger vehicles around me. I had similar symptoms about 50-60k miles ago and my mechanic put on new struts which solved the problem and really boosted the ride quality.

I haven't lifted the car and removed the wheels and inspected anything yet because I wanted to make sure I checked all of the right things. All I have done so far is press on the top of the wheel well to check for bounce and to make sure the upper strut mount bushing was still good, both of which seemed good to my novice eyes. So what all should I check under there aside from the struts? I know of the control arm bushing and stabilizer bar bushing. I'd like to inspect everything and go ahead and do some preventative maintenance while I'm under there and get back to a good ride quality while doing all of the work myself.

My tires are due for a rotation and balance so I can probably get my tire shop to take a look while they have it on the lift to see what they think.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Tie rod ends and ball joints. If you have a sway bar, it has bushings that need to be looked at also.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

If you have 192k on the body, you should really replace the LCAs (Lower Control Arms).

The control arm bushing is at the end of the LCA where it meets the frame (included w the LCA).
There is 1 sway bar bushing where the sway bar attaches to the LCA (included as part of the LCA), and several up front that I did not replace simply because I did not
want to have to worry about putting it back exactly where it was -- which ---if not done properly, will skew the handling properties if it is off center.

The ball joints are integral to the LCAs and cannot be replaced separately.

HEY!! Rock Auto sells just the bushings!! Wish I knew that several LCA's ago. Guess you could give that a go!!!!

Tie rod ends are cheap and easily replaced, but I do not know that they need to be replaced.

The feeling you are getting through the steering wheel is in all likelihood due to the LCA bushings which are now dried out and brittle. I used to feel it every time I hit the bottom of my driveway.

New struts FIRST may alleviate some of the problem but I suspect that the thunking will still be present to some extent.

I would recommend going GM parts on this one--I have read reviews where guys said they actually BROKE the Dorman LCAs in 2 weeks.

Last edited by derf; 08-21-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Thanks Derf. To clarify are you recommending the the GM LCA'a over just the Dorman brand or over all of the brands carried on RockAuto? They also carry ACDelco, Moog, and Mevotechs.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

GM over Dorman. I have no experience at all with any of the others but AC Delco should be pretty much identical to the dealer part so I'd have no issues with AC Delco.

Google them all and see what comes up in the other big saturn forum. I know we've never discussed it here in the 10 years I've been on this forum