Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Input shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM

I have a 97 saturn sl, standard trans, SOHC, and i have an input shaft bearing noise around 1800 rpm. does anyone have any insight on whether these transmissions are able to be worked on or if they need special tools to be serviced? the noise is just an anoyance that i can deal with if its not possible to repair but if it is possible i would like to know. thanks!
Edited by: rabobanks

Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM

The trannys are servicable and easily come apart. But I''ve never heard of the input shaft bearing going bad. And for the price of that bearing, which is most likely a dealer only part, you can get a replacement transmission at the junkyard.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

I am wondering if the sound was mis-diagnosed, and is actually the clutch release bearing? I personally would look there before shopping in the wrecking yards for another transmission ...

Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM

thank you for prompt response. i am replacing the clutch very soon as it is going bad and that will include the clutch release bearing so that will be able to tell if its the release bearing. ill check saturn dealers for a price on that bearing though. thanks again!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 PM

If your clutch is slipping, you may consider adjusting it if that is possible. I have no experience with hydraulic clutches as ofyet, and I believe that Saturns have hydraulically operated clutches (which may or may not be self adjusting). However, as a clutch wears, the pressure plate spring comes closer and closer to the throwout bearing until it is always in contact with it, which will eventually prevent full pressure from being applied to the clutch driven disc (asbestos disc). This will cause clutch slippage. Also, with the throwout bearing always being in contact with the pressure plate spring, it will make noise, and will wear out prematurely, making it even more noisy. If the clutch is adjustable, you might save yourself a lot of work by adjusting it for proper clearance. If you don''t mind noise when the clutch throwout is applied, the throwout probably won''t make noise whenit is released, if it isn''talways incontact with the pressure plate spring. Also with proper spring pressure being applied to the driven disc, it probably won''t slip......unless it''s fully worn out.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas
If your clutch is slipping, you may consider adjusting it if that is possible.
Not possible.