Ignition coil bolts rusted, can't turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

you typed donzo, silly
done zo i woulda gotten

Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 AM

Amazon Amazon
This tool seems like it should work from what I understand, the small end is enough to get around the bolt, I hope., and where it gets larger is where you get more room near the coil.

And in my case, if I had to, I would be willing to grind into the coil to cut the bolt head. HOWEVER, I would make sure to disconnect the battery and discharge any ANY electricity in them before attempting that. I can get it saturday which means I can do it sunday, hopefully.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Autozone sells same exact item 12.99

no cutting!!!!
not yet anyway

Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 AM

Do you have a part number or a link to their website with it? I tried bolt extractor on their website and I didnt see it. I mean if they have one fo so, I will definitely do that. And I am not worried about aft clearance because even if it was too close to the radiator, I am going to have to replace the radiator anyway since the pentcock is shattered from Im assuming frozen antifreeze. Its all together but it slowly leaks out. My guess over the years someone added water and it diluted past 50/50 or it wasnt changed properly.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 AM

"Performance tool" thats why I couldnt find it lol. autozone has a weird organization system that sometimes arbitrarily labels something very specifically... anyway, thanks for finding it! According to autozone its in stock in my town which means I can use it for saturday... but really I wont have the most use for it until the new fasteners come in the mail. But it still doesnt hurt to have and at least try to see if it will work. And if it wont I can find another one.

Also could you check my forum on coolant tank? You seem to know quite a bit about our saturns :P

Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 AM

First thing I'd try is putting a punch or drift pin tool against them and hitting them with a ball peen hammer in order to try to knock some rust loose. Then, I'd take a dremmel with a cutting tool and cut a slot in them to accommodate a flat head screwdriver tip and soak them with Kroil, PB Blaster or what ever penetrating oil you have and let them sit for a day and then try removing them. I'd put a pair of vise grips on the screwdriver for torque and lean into the screwdriver with as much force as possible while turning it. If it doesn't move, soak it some more and wait another day. Derf has some excellent ideas, so you'll just have to decide what fits your needs best. And I'm not a dirty old man, I just like the twisted and perverted jokes that I hear and pass along ! LOL I'd be curious to know if that "performance tool" from Autozone works. It looks too big around to fit in there to me, but that could just be because of the exploded picture.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 10-11-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 AM

Tomorrow I am going to be attempting to take the old bolts out, clean up the ground surfaces, and put them back together. If it works my car will be DTC free

Old 10-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Soooooo, did you get it all squared away?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Inquiring minds want to know....

Might take a few drives before the light goes out, so don't freak. Misfire codes usually clear pretty quickly given the amount of data the PCM can look at to decide.

How did you finally get them off?

Quick Reply: Ignition coil bolts rusted, can't turn