Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Ignition coil bolts rusted, can't turn (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/ignition-coil-bolts-rusted-cant-turn-11480/)

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 04:49 AM

Ignition coil bolts rusted, can't turn

Hi. I have an 1999 SW2 with a manual and DOHC. I have an intermittent 1 and 4 misfire. I did a valve cover gasket job, spark plugs, and wires. Which DID help because the spark plugs were junk and werent even tightened into the engine, but still have that misfire because of the common poor grounding of the coil and module. However, I am able to remove the top 2 bolts but NOT the bottom 2 bolts. Does anyone have ideas on how to get down there? Its such a tight fit there's no way to drill them out. Honestly these should have been mounted near the battery... on top of the motor.

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 01:27 PM

Ignition Coil Bolt Part #

Even though no one is reading my other forum asking for help removing the rusted bolts... rip... I did find part #s for the bolts
one is the top bolt, the other is the bottom bolt.(a total of 2 each for 4) Note this applies to the 1.9l DOHC, but I would assume, but am not sure, it applies to the SOHC.

derf 10-10-2018 04:26 PM

PB Blaster PB Blaster PB Blaster
soak soak soak.
I believe those bolts go through the ignition control module beneath the coils and thread into blind holes in the block.
Do not try to drill them out unless you like rethreading aluminum or are a fan of helicoil.

Do not take a torch to it unless it is tightly focused down to the head of the bolt and you do an on off on off or you will fry the ICM.

I have in the past soaked suspension bolts on my SC2 twice a day for 5 days to get them loose. Be patient.

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 06:20 PM

Um.. like o said the bolts are donzo socket can't be used. I'm asking how I can remove them since I cannot use a socket or wrench

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 06:22 PM

My bad only the title mentioned the bolts being bad. Anyway, some mod moved my other forum Into this one where it does not belong. Mods you need to read

Hideaway96 10-10-2018 08:18 PM

I would take a die grinder or dremel with a cut off wheel cut the head of the bolt of to move the coils out of the way. Then you should be able to use more PB blaster or liquid wrench on them some more and be able to grab onto them with a vise grip. That is one of many ways.

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 08:26 PM

Oh the bolt doesnt thread through the coil? Does it through through the module?

derf 10-10-2018 11:35 PM

Don't go cutting the heads off of them.

I think we're crossed up a bit.

You need to remove the entire DIS, then unbolt the coil from the ICM, swap in a new one, and reattach as one unit back to the block.

the bolts I was describing are the ones that hold the entire DIS, not the individual coils

"Bolts are donzo" ??? translation please?

If the above doesn't clear things up, please post a picture so we can see what's jamming you up.

derf 10-10-2018 11:41 PM

Oh, I'm that mod.

Please keep all related info in a single thread.
Thanks.

Having rusted bolts and finding part numbers for replacements sure seems related to me.

SaturnGirlFromMars 10-10-2018 11:43 PM

You cant remove the Ignition Module without removing the ignition coils from the module.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sat...bc839018e0.png

This is a top view of the coil pack. The two bolts visible hold down the spark plug wires and the coil and the ignition module. There are similar, but different bolts on the bottom(couldnt find a good photo online) that are easiest gotten from the bottom.

However, those two bolts are completely stripped and circular. Im guessing the previous owner attempted the repair(like they failed miserably at spark plugs and a valve cover gasket) and just gave up and sold the car at auction. The bolts have to be removed to remove the coil and module.