Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Horn & AirBag Problem in SW2 1996

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Default Horn & AirBag Problem in SW2 1996

Hello guys!
I just registered in the forum, thank you for that great place!
So I have Saturn SW2 1996, yesterday my friend was driving it. And told me that while driving the Airbag light started just like that, when they parked the car at the house when you shut off the ignition the horn beeps by it self, when you turn on the ignition again the horn stops This is very strange, I have never seen a problem like that before, the horn to start beeping when you switch off the ignition. I think it is connected some how with the airbag light. So for now we just removed the circuit braker for the horn from the fuse box, so we can park the car, but other way everything else is working fine in the car. I even made a test drive except the Air Bag light on, there is nothing else, anyone having ideas?
I can start looking for the problem my self, but I need wiring diagram, is there one here in the forum?
Thank you!

Best Regards!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

I would not be suprised to see the problem end up in the steering column.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM

possibly the clock spring behind the steering wheel on the column. when you take the steering wheel off its sitting on the column with about three screws in it and two electrical connectors on it. the electrical conectors arekind of crammed under the steering column, you need to take the plastic piece off around the stering column to get to it. if you know how to use a dmm ( digital multi meter) you can trace each lead from one side of the clock spring to the other. the clock spring is made out of a coil of paper thin wires coiled up to supply power to the air bag and the accessories on the steering column. I have seen them break befor and do some real hoaky stuff. NOTE!!!!!!! diconect the battery before messing around the air bag. I say this because all of the wires that terminate in the steering wheel are behind the air bag, as you will need to remove it first to get to the wires and to remove the steering wheel. dont bet on what i say just might be the problem

Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned
Default re: Air Bag Suprises

PLEASE -- disconnect the battery power, and wait several minutes for the trigger circuit to discharge before messing with the airbag. Those things can be downright hazardous ...