Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM

I have a 2000 SL2 with 100,000+ miles on it. Recently I have been experiencing a problem, I have had 4 mechanics look into it and no one can figure out what it is so I thought I would bring it here for input but first I want to stipulate that I am a girlie girl with absolutely NO mechical knowledge at all so please be kind.

This problem is very infrequent with no rhyme or reason that I can tell up to this point. It drives like a dream but occasionally when I go to start it (doesn't matter if it is hot or cold) it will hesitate and gurgle. At this point the only way to start it is very lightly tap the gas peddle and it will go ahead and start. This does not happen every time only occasionally. The battery, alternator, starter has been tested. We have used fuel injection cleaner in it and we have replaced the fuel pump relay. Any ideas?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 PM

With some work done has anyone used cleaning solvent, such as carburetor cleaner, on the throttle body assembly? The throttle body is where the air filter/cleaner ends and what the gas pedal controls. There may be a build up of deposits from normal use that requires cleaning in and around the throttle body that may be contributing to the infrequent erratic engine starting. Possibly from sticking linkages that won't work smoothly. This process can take about an hour to perform, sometimes less, and may help but subsequent driving will tell. You can buy this cleaner from any auto store and do this yourself or have someone do this that knows their way around under the hood.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

1) Fuel filter changed recently?

2) I have also noticed strange starting behavior which seems to occur only after the car has been

a) started
b) run for like 20 seconds (moving it into the garage for example)
c) let it sit (doesn't matter how long)

The next start is often rough and requires encouragement from the gas pedal.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Have they put the car on a scanner to see what the coolant temperature is when you try to start it cold? If the sensor is faulty it could be dumping too much fuel, causing it hard to start when cold. This is a $20 part, and about 10 minutes to replace. All you need is a 13mm deep socket to get the sensor out. There are 2 sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer. The one for the computer is what I'm talking about. It sits below the one for the gauge.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Edited by: iqoair