Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Please help me help a friend! 2001 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to help a friend get his Saturn up and running again. His power steering pump went out, and he kept driving the car until the pulley melted off. At this point the belt is loose and the car will not run.

Today I went over to his house and removed the pump. We have searched the car all over for the "Service Parts ID", but we can''t find anything. This car was a salvage vehicle, so the sticker is probably long gone. At one time the rear window was busted out of the vehicle. The shop had to replace the spare tire cover because the origional one was destroyed by water.

I have to figure out which power steering pump is the right one so that I can order it. How do I find out if the pump is a variable effort steering pump with or without EVO component. I am looking for part number NV7 or N40 I believe. I have the pump with me if there is a number on there that will help. I also have the VIN if that is needed. The auto parts store was no help.

I also have to locate a power steering pump pully. The auto parts store can not even get one, though thier website shows it.

He needs his car running ASAP, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Will the power steering work with either pump? I am thinking of just buying the cheapest of the 2 and going with it. Is this an option?

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM

try your local junk yards and see if you can find one

Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95_sl1
try your local junk yards and see if you can find one

All the yards say the car is too new. If I were in Atlanta I could source anything in just a few hours, but Chattanooga is different. I called the dealer and tricked him into telling me that the vin matched the newer pump. I knew that ment the variable pump. I also knew I did not have an orfice for the EVO. With this info we ordered the pump, and I installed it yesterday. He is up an running now, but we still have to replace a rear driverside window, fix the front bumper, and go over the rest of the car because it sat for over 4 months. I will probably be back for more info as he and I work our way through this.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Ummmmm.....

Asking the dealer to match your VIN to your PS pump is not "tricking" the dealerthey''ll give you pretty much any info you ask for (if done so politely)......it is often the fastest path to many an answer regarding correct parts for the car, which years had the same parts in common, etc...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Het Derf ......... good to ssee you back