Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Hello I'm new and need some help transmission 2001 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 AM
Default Hello I'm new and need some help transmission 2001 SC2

Hello everyone. I have a very newb question but I can't find the straight answer anywhere. Plz can someone tell me what kind of transmission fluid goes in a 2001 saturn s series SC2 1.9l coupe? And how much of it is required for a transmission flush? As well as anything else I might need to do it correctly? The car was a gift and honestly it's a great car in great condition but it's at that age or mileage I should say where everything is needing to be replaced. Recently the car has been shifting really weird with random up or down shifts when it wants. And sometimes shifting really hard. Or when I turn the car off it almost sounds like the transmission wants to keep going. And finally when i stop at a light or a stop sign when the tranny has been driving for a while, the car kinda stalls but doesn't. The engine revs like I was in neutral and moves very slow for a couple seconds, usually all the way through the intersection and then all of a sudden it catches and goes really hard. Like idk how I dont have whiplash from how hard it kicks sometimes lol. And when I did the oil change the other day I noticed the transmission filter looked like it was the same one sold on the car in 2001. It looks ancient, all rusted and the red paint is chipped with all the peaces still dangling. I looked up the symptoms of a bad tranny filter and found all the problems that I'm having! So if the filter is that bad I can only imagine how bad the fluid is. If anyone knows anything more that I should know plz feel free to school me. I need some help bad. I kinda fell in love with this car and really can't afford a new transmission.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:32 AM

That transmission is what they call a TAAT-4. Derf knows a hell of a lot more than I do about these. Seems they're prone to solenoid failure. However, your problem MIGHT just be a dirty filter and fluid. Unless you're a do it yourself kind of person, I'd suggest you just take it to a REPUTABLE transmission shop (NOT AAMCO) and ask for a fluid and filter change. I'm not positive, but I THINK it takes Dexron type fluid. Shop will know. And about 4 quarts is all it'll take for a change. If you want it flushed, it'll probably take 8 quarts or so. I'm sure derf will be along shortly and correct everything I've mentioned with very detailed information.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the car?

Dexron III atf fluid, 4.5 quarts, maybe slightly more with filter change.

Try to measure what you took out. Plus there is always the dipstick at the end. I think the fluid needs to be checked at operating temperature. Please check the owner's manual.

Mobil 1 seems to make a full synthetic that meets dexron III specs.

The S Series Auto transmissions have all types of issues, so don't go spending $8 billion on fancy trans fluid. Especially if you think it has never been changed. If that is the case, you may be doing multiple drain and fills.

Note that if the vehicle has no known history of transmission maintenance, many shops will not touch it, especially on a 20 year old car with 150 to 200,000 miles on it. Also, a true transmission flush, unless done properly, can distribute metal particulates all over the place and disturb other deposits that are actually making certain parts of the transmission still function properly. This info from a knowledgeable transmission shop guy that used to be on the forum.

Drain and fill with filter change and check the tip of the drain plug as it is magnetic. It is likely coated with metal shavings to the point it is not capturing anymore. Be sure to wipe that clean after every change.

Can't diagnose the rest of the issues until it's up and running again.