Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Front bearing,steering knuckle and caliper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 07:02 PM
Default Front bearing,steering knuckle and caliper conversion

I wanted to make changing the front wheel bearing easier,faster and no realignment issues after.After looking in the junkyard I found the solution.I used the steering knuckle and calpers from a 1998 chevy cavalier. To make the knuckles work you need to do 2 things to them .The first is to narrow the knuckle where it fits into the saturn strut.You can have this machined at a machine shop or did with a angle drinker and a thick grinding disc and a set of calipers.Fisrt measure the cavalier knuckle the the saturn knuckle.Next subtract the Saturn's measurement from the Cavalier's measure measurement then decide the difference by 2 next take that measurement and mark it off on each side of the leg that fits into the strut.Mount the knuckle in a vise or on the edge of the bench start grinding holding the grinding wheel as flat as possible.Check your progress frequently to make sure your are grinding fairly evenl.Rember you are trying to get to the cavaliers measure minus one half of the difference between the 2 knuckles I you are satisfied with your work start grinding the other side of the leg till you're happy with your work test fit into strut if it's tight grind a little of each side till it fits.Next you will need a 7 degree taper reamer to ream the hole for the control arm ball joint ream the hole to where the ball joint stud protrudes about .420 through the knuckle. Once all this is done you are ready to install the new bearing and knuckle and caliper.You can reuse the saturn 4 bolt disc or get fancy like I did and opt for the 5x100 bolt pattern and new wheels.For this you will need the cavalier rear wheel bearing has the same bolt pattern through the axle as the saturn.Good luck and enjoy easier bearing changes without realignment and easier brake changes 2 bolts instead of 4 and no caliper braket.There is last benefit the caliper holds longer disc pads than the saturn for more stopping power.$60 for the 2 knuckles,$80pr for the calipers,$70 for the tapered reamer,$75 for the bearings pr and what ever you want to spend on pads for $350 bucks just for the 4 bolt saturn is not bad to save you all the hassle just to change the stock saturn wheel bearing

Old 05-06-2024, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Very interesting.

If your wheel bearings are not defective and installed properly, why would you need to be able to do easy wheel bearing swaps?

My 95 has almost 250,000 mi on the factory originals.....(??)