Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Electrical Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM

I have a 97 saturn SL. Has 198,000 and has never had anything done to it. Just got home from an errand, stopped at my friends for about 10 min, got back in. Car started for about 3 sec. and I heard a small pop and white smoked came out of the dash vents. Smelled like something burning. It was pouring the rain so I couldnt get out under the hood fast enough to see where it was coming from.
I have some knowledge about car mechanics but when it comes to electrical I have very little.
Could this be a fuse blown under the hood? or something else?? I am going to try to find this problem and fix it myself because i dont have the money to have it fixed. ANY advice will be appreciated. thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Well, something electrical has burned up (burned out) ... but of course, I am sure you figured that out already. The question is, what

Start the car up, and try (item by item) to operate everything ... radio, heating/cooling, lights, wipers, etc. What does not work ???

Now, get your owner manual out of the glove box, and turn to the section about fuses. Locate the fuse(s) that control whatever is not working, and see if they are blown (no contact). Turn the car off, and replace the bad fuse(s) and try again. If the fuse(s) blow again, then you have a problem with that piece of equipment, or the wiring that goes to it.

Let us know what you find ...

Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 AM

The car now wont start...it will turn over strong but it will never start. It has never been slow at starting or anything like that.

I am going to check all fuses today. I will let ya know what I find.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

NikeGirl ...

What did you find with respect to your fuse/electrical problem ??