Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Door hinge pins

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Default Door hinge pins

I have a 2001 SW2. There doesn't seem to be a category for my wagon so this looked like the best choice.

The driver side door hinge pins are worn out. New hinges look like they'll run me about $50.00 each. I'd rather just replace the hinge pins and bushings but none of the auto suppliers recognize the part. They offer universal ones but which ones will work? I have access to NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone and O'Reilly. If you know a part number to order that would help a lot.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

As you have already determined from searching parts sites, the pins for the hinges 21080750 and 21080751 are only available as complete assemblies. And although i did not search far and wide, 21080751 availability looks like it may be a problem.

To ONLY do the pins, your best bet is to scavenge from a junkyard for ones better than the ones you have.
Sad but true -- find a low mileage wagon. You'll need something to support those doors when removing -- may bring a floor jack and a buddy with you. But this is just a bandaid.

Not sure if the hinges are the same for the sedans or coupes -- would greatly open your scavenging options.

Have you checked to ensure that the interior door trim has not become partially separated from the door itself and is shifted down just enough to hit the body when closing the door? Makes you think hinges when really it's just the inner panels.

If it were me and I could afford it, I would eat the $100 , do the hinges in full, and move on with life. Amount of time and effort involved to find and dismantle a junker for used pins and bushings just doesn't seem worth it.

If you do the hinges in full be sure to VERY CAREFULLY MARK the exact position of the old hinges as alignment of the door without a door support device is gonna be difficult to say the least.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 AM

This sounds like an open and shut case hinging on time, money, and ability.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

That was truly awful.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM

The pins are clearly worn out. If you lift the door you can see play at the hinge pins. Haven't tried ordering new ones yet. Not real excited about the idea of using used parts on the door.