Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Dead SL2

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM

I got a 2002 SL2 it has been sitting for a couple of months. I checked on it a couple of days ago and it has no power what so ever. The lights don't come on when you open the door, hazards, nothing. I have replaced the old battery. I have check the voltage going into the fuse box and it is fine. Does anyone know what I can do next?
TIA

Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Sitting for a few months w/o starting isn't good for an engine. Recheck all the battery connections to be sure of no corrosion build-up otherwise cleaning the terminals with a baking soda/water solution will dissolve and neutralize the powder deposits. Check the starter connections also for looseness/corrosion and the ground connection. Loosen and tighten connections if you have to as corrosion has a way to prevent goodelectrical connection but not show outwardly until the nut or bolt is loosened where the corrosion shows itself underneath. The same with the battery cables, look closely where the cable clamps are and look for evidence of corrosion. The next step is to see if the starter will turn over the engine andif stagnant fuel will spray out the injectors to get the engine to fire up.

Leaving the ignition key in the ON/RUN position should enable the fuel pump for a few seconds that you may be able to hear as a slight hissing or humming sound, then shuts off. Turning the key to START should have the starter turning the engine over.