Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Power window dead

Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 AM
Banned

I've got a '96 SL2 with power windows and locks. The drivers window is stuck 1/4 of the way down. Here's the story.

It's my daughter's car, and the window started making a grinding noise going up and down about at the 1/4 down and again about 1/2 down spots. She hasn't been using the window (don't need it while it is cold) and I was going to look at it in warmer weather. My son borrowed the car, rolled the window down and now it don't work. He probably had the radio up and didn't hear the grinding.

So, here is my troubleshooting so far. Checked the up down switch, it is working. At least you can hear the window relay in both directions at the console fuse panel. But, there isn't anymotor noise. Removedthe interiordoor panel, the wires to the motor feel like they are connected (haven't pulled off the outer door panel to gain access yet. According to Chiltons, it is not the fuse (30A) since the other windows work, fuse checked good anyway.

I have a few questions.

1. Where is the circuit breaker for the power window motor?According toChilton's it is auto resetting.Is the breaker replacable or do I need to replace the entire motor?

2. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-14-2006, 02:55 AM

bad window regulator, the bad regulator probably killed the motor. so replace the regulator and motor./ it is alot easier then changing only the track or only the motor

Old 02-14-2006, 08:41 AM

ottjoe is right, chewed up/jammed gears = fried motor

Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
OK, so here's a few more stupid questions.

What is the regulator?

I've got the door opened up (panels removed). Have power to the motor but nothing else.Big gear that moves the window up and down, along with the smaller gear that drives it look good.

Is the regulator a small gearbox attached to the end of the motor that has the small gear that drives the larger one?

Also, how do you remove the requlator? I've removed the four torx screws (T35) but it will not come apart. Looks like the motor is held on (to the regulator?) by four socket head cap screws and the part the motor is attached to looks to have rivits holding it together.

So, how do I take this apart and fix it.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM

I've never had a Saturn window apart, but if I recall on my Vette you have to drill out the rivets to get it apart and just replace them with screws. The regulator is the geared arm that actually lifts the window up and down. My problem was with the armature shaft worm gear, inspect it closely. The worm gear would cross thread on the regulator gear and jam. If the motor jammed, more that likely the brushes burned the armature. All of the which can be serviced. It not hard to get the motor back in service, it going to be dealing withthe worm gear. You can loosen up/remove the window damping tabs. The window may rattle a little in the half way down position, but the idea is to get as much pressure off the gears as you can

Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM

it is alot easier to just replace the motor and regulator. it is mbest to use rivets instead of using bolts. you are going to replace all the metal that touches the window. that is the regulator. it is 4 rivets and 2 10mm bolts.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Ottjoe is right, in the long run it needs to be replace. But if your like me, more time than money. You might be able to squeeze a little more life out of it. I'm guessing it's over $200 fora new motor and regulator. Ottjoe do you havethe ball park price on the whole new unit?

Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Thanks, I've got to quotes for motor and regulator. Used (with 1yr warranty) for 78.50 and a new one for 138.00 (ad price) plus shipping. Waiting on actual price quote. Will replace the whole thing. I'm the kind of guy that likes to do it right the first time and don't have to mess with it again. Expecially since this is the driver's door and we've got the Illinois Tollway to pay moeny to to use the roads.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:24 PM

It does sound like the regulator. Let us know how it turns out.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM

just a word for other people on this... I went to the junk yard and got a window motor and regulatorfor $25.00 and you can manually test the regulator by takingthe housing off the motor and turning it by hand. If it's gearing is messed up, it will turn hard or not at all.. just be careful of taking the window off to swap them out. I found it easier to just bend the track a little to get the regulator wheels out of the track but remember to put teh "plastic" between the two rollers when you change them. This is whatstops your window.

I popped the rivets and just boltedthe new one in place. Been working great for over a year.