Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Coolant Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Replaced bad radiator fan 2 weeks ago, worked fine...now not so much (or at all to be exact). Does not power on when a/c is on nor when temp spikes, relays are good, current to plug when a/c is on. All signs point to a bad fan motor. This won't be the first time I've experienced a "life time warranty" part go bad after less than a month...but I wonder is there anything I could be missing before replacing again?

Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 PM

The a/c system must work or cool properly, at the least the compressor clutch must engage and turn the compressor. If it does then the fan will come on. If not then the fan will not turn on.

Not knowing what year your car is, you can wire a temporary jumper to the fan relay socket pins 30 and 87 that will send 12v directly to the fan and should power up the fan. If this doesn't then you'll have to check the wiring for loose/corroded connections to the fan and/or wire the fan directly to the battery to see if the fan is defective.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM

BAd fan. Darn lifetime warranty parts that last a few weeks to die...I wish they'd warranty my labor to reinstall! Just FYI whoever may be reading this to change yours....

This is really simple, the only problem is getting the shroud out with the A/C hoses, radiator hoses, and transmission lines in the way. The second time I replaced the fan motor I also changed the coolant which allowed me to remove the bottom rad hose...the shroud was much easier to get out, also you may want to consider a trans filter change while doing this since you have to remove the air filter box anyway. The trans filter is easily accessed.