Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Default Clunking Noise

Well, okay. I'm having a few issues with my '92 SL. As I was driving to pick up my mom from her class(Don't ask- long story), my car began to drop revs. I, as the lead-footed person I am, just put on more gas(Isn't that the answer to everything? ). However, this only got me so far, as I soon was slowing down enough that I had to flash the hazards and cut across two lanes of Denver night traffic to park on a sidestreet, right in a no parking zone, to my luck.

That aside, when I popped the hood, nothing was evident. I checked the oil, and despite a continuous leak somewhere, it was at a level suitable for driving. After checking the coolant, it registered the same(It hadn't overheated, anyway. It was really cold, so I don't see how it could've, and the gauge confirmed this). Anyway, I tried restarting it. It fired up just fine, so I let it sit for a bit. I heard a weird rattling/clanking sound. Now, I had heard this sound often, as it would sometimes happen whenever I balanced the clutch and gas improperly, but it would stop soon after that. However, this was constant and unchanging. Putting this out of my mind, I put in some gas. To my(Relative) surprise, the revs dropped, and the engine died.

So, I called up a tow truck, and I got a ride home with family. The car's in my driveway now, but what could be causing this?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 AM

Don't know why it died, could be alot of things. Don't know what your noise is, could be alot of things. Get the codes read and post them in this thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned

A list of the stored codes is always a good point. Puts everything on a repeatable starting point ...

Put the actual numbers, not the intepretations

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Catalytic converter could be clogged.Could be a bad sensor,could be alot of things going on,codes man codes,you have to read the codes,its like a window into the brain of your car,and usually they will tell you.You stomache tells your brain when your hungry right,or in pain.Your car does the same thing.If no codes try the converter tho its an older car and probaly never been changed hey do clog up since the saturn burn so much oil(1.9's)

Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Well, okay. I have been unable to have the codes read as of yet, but I'm gonna actually have a mechanic(Thank god I live in a house full of 'em...) look at it to see, and he's gonna go from there. Just from my descriptions, he thinks that the fuel pump that we replaced 2500 miles ago may have already crapped out. He said something about the catalytic converter not being it, as it should(Per his descriptions) cause bad gas mileage first, then back everything up. So far, my gas mileage's been fine.

So, I'll see if he can get the codes read, but it may be a while to get them up.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

We'll be standing by on this end -- Merry Christmas to you and yours ...