General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2003 vue with loud clunking nioise up front

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Default 2003 vue with loud clunking nioise up front

Hi, I have a 2003 Vue that has a loud clunking noise in the front on the left side, especially noticable at lower speeds. I cannot find anything loose on the left front side. The drivetrain is tight, the steering is tight, the brakes are great ( the car makes the same clunking sound going down the road even when the breaks are applied). I've been under and over the car several times and cannot find anything loose. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

thanks,

Mike

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

If this noise seems to also relate to road speed, faster when faster and slower when slower, then it could be a CV joint which would be part of the front wheel drive half shaft on the left side. Providing of course you have all wheel or four wheel drive.
And if it is, rebuilt half shafts are not expensive to purchase and if you have a half way decent tool selection other than a dog job, not hard to change.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Default clunking sound continued

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. The clunking sound is directly related to going over bumps in the road. Even going at slow speeds,up the driveway for example, I hear the clunking noise. Could it be a strut or a plastic inner fender making the noise? I'm really lost here. Thanks for any help.

mike

Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

To be honest, I don't know what kind of front suspension a Vue has, but it is not uncommon that they be strut suspenstions. That is a lower control arm that supports the lower ball joint and pivots on the chassis on two points. The lower ball joint might be held in place by a bolt going through the side of the retainer and captured by a grove in the stud on the ball joint. I dunno, but if it is, I have had that bolt work loose causing the lower ball joint to clunk on bumps. Shock mount loose or rubber wore out, if seperate from strut. If strut again, and I dunno, when you turn the steering the entire strut pivots. There is a bearing at the top of the strut that supports the weight of the car and serves to pivot the strut on. It can be part of the replacement kit if you replace struts. It can be purchased seperatly. I have had them be bad on very high mileage cars. Aprox. 300,000 miles. They make loud banging noises. Abuse and neglect will accent failure. This again is guess work. I have no idea what kind of front suspension Vue's have.
My S car has a strut suspension as does my Chrysler. I have a spare front strut assembly pulled from a junk Saturn S cars for emergency parts if needed for my S car.
Who knows what some of us keep for spare parts.