Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

A/C problems help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Post A/C problems help!!

I have a 2001 Saturn SL2. Okay i took it to a mechanic last summer told me my compressor was bad. It had always had a slow leakWell, couple weeks ago i replaced the the compressor and the receiver/drier. Took it to the shop to get it vacuumed and charged, they vacuumed the system but told me there was that small leak out of the hi and low side valves so they didn't replace the freon and didn't charge me. Went and put the freon in myself took the put it 1.5 lbs of freon (24oz) and didn't get cold. The freon bottle didn't even get cold but the system took it. at 30mph no change. at 70 mph it would get a bit colder. and now 2 weeks later no cold no matter what. Any suggestions?? i'v been messing with this for over a year!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

A leak in both the high and the low side valves ? Are you referring to the test connection valves where one hooks the gages to checkout the system, or do you mean the valves within the compressor itself ??

Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Yes high and low. And yeah where you connect guagues and put freon in is where they told me it was leaking. They showed me but I couldn't hear or see any freon coming out but they just used the leak tested that beeps when it's get near freon I assume.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

why are you expecting a refrigerant system with known leaks to behave like one that has no leaks?

If the schrader valves are leaking, get them re-cored/replaced. Not sure why the shop didn't offer to do that -- it takes only a few minutes.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned
Default RE: A/C Problems

Originally Posted by mattman
I have a 2001 Saturn SL2. Okay i took it to a mechanic last summer told me my compressor was bad. It had always had a slow leak Well, couple weeks ago i replaced the the compressor and the receiver/drier. Took it to the shop to get it vacuumed and charged, they vacuumed the system but told me there was that small leak out of the hi and low side valves so they didn't replace the freon and didn't charge me. Went and put the freon in myself took the put it 1.5 lbs of freon (24oz) and didn't get cold. The freon bottle didn't even get cold but the system took it. at 30mph no change. at 70 mph it would get a bit colder. and now 2 weeks later no cold no matter what. Any suggestions?? i'v been messing with this for over a year!
From what you say above, the shop vacuumed the system but didn't charge it because of the leaks. That means that when you added your Freon, there was air in the lines again. Also, after two weeks - everything has leaked out again. Replace the lines that have the gage fittings and have them vacuum the system and test it again....