Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 sl2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Default 99 sl2

All,

I have a simple question. I have a 99 Saturn SL2 and I was coming home from work today and basically, the engine just stopped. I put it in Neutral and the RPM's went to Zero. I am either thinking timing or fuel pump.

The car has 240K miles on it and it has been a great car. I literally have NEVER done the back brakes (and yes there is still pad on them).

Anyway, here is the question. Is this motor an "interferance" motor? So if the timing went, is the motor junk? I have read that these have chains and not belts, chains last longer, but really grenade the motor if they break.

My motor does turn over, but does not start. That is why I lean toward fuel pump now.

Any expertise or guidance is appreciated.

Regards,

Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

"Interference motor" ?? Sadly, yes............

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM

You may want to do a compression test before you replace the fuel pump. Fuel pumps get noisier with age, so if yours is working, you should be able to hear it.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

personally I'm thinking CPS crapped out

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM

I would be REALLY happen if it was the CPS. That is MUCH MUCH cheaper than a fuel pump or a timing chain.

I am worried about the timing chain now. Especially since it has 240K miles on it. I have owned it since new and the oil has been changed every 3000 miles from day one.

Anyway, I will keep you posted....

Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Banned

WE await your verdict with hope in our hearts, and fingers crossed ...............

Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM

After years of not really needing some form of a meter or gauge to trouble shoot fuel delivery problems on carburater cars. I have found a fuel pressure gauge to be almost indespensible trouble shooting fuel injection problems, such as did the dang pump quit working. Expensive, but indespensible. There are so many built in safety features to keep fuel from squirting all over the place under 45# of pressure if something goes wrong, genrally by shutting off the fuel pump if pressures are not built up and sensed after a period of time.
Where as on carburetors, at 5# pressure with mechanical pumps, if the engine was turnning over it pumped, or didn't as the case may be and it was hard for gasoline to get anywhere dangorous.
Good luck!
Seems to me that you can look down the oil fill hole in the cam cover and see if the cam is turning when you crank the engine. If it isn't the chain is broken. It helps to have two people handy when checking this though.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

usually when the chain snaps it sounds like someone mixing nuts n bolts in a cereal bowl