Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 SL1 Electrical problem draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Default 99 SL1 Electrical problem draining battery

Hello I know what is causing the battery to drain but I dont know the root cause of it. Its my daughters car and it has an aftermarket radio in it. A couple of days ago the radio wouldn't turn off when turning the car off via the key which is what should normally happen. THe radio has a removable faceplate so she pulled that off.

Well after sitting not being used the car wouldn't start. I gave the battery a charge and it started right up. Putting the face plate on the radio and it illuminated even with the key off and out of the ignition.

I then pulled the fuse out for the RADIO, unbelievably the radio lights are still on (could not turn radio on though). So I tore the center console apart and unplugged the radio from the connector, radio off finally. Now the radio was connected via a premade adapter cable assembly with the proper plug to connect to the cars so I dont think its a mis wiring issue.

Reading the book after I did the fuse test it sounds like some dash lights including the radio lights is powered by a different fuse, so now Im wondering if maybe there is a relay somewhere that is sticking closed?

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? Car appears fine with the radio unplugged but who wants to ride in a car with no radio?

Thank You

~ Phil

Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Better a ride in a car with no radio, than a "no-ride" condition in a car with a fonky one ...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM

I think it is time to buy something like a Chiltons or equivelent svc manual with the wiring diagrams and see if you can determine whether there is a wiring problem or not. Pre-made does not insure wiring accuracy, it insures the illusion of wiring accuracy and some times is no more beneficial then the concept of removing money from your wallet.
As cars have gotten newer, many forms to internal wiring have become unique to the car and it's computor controls than the standard interface assumed by similar connectors.
This also means you need to figure out what the radio actually needs to run with.
For many years I made my living out of working with electronics and wiring and one thing I learned well was to not trust exisiting wiring unless I personally wired it according to exhisting documentation.

Last edited by uncljohn; 01-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM

sounds like the radio is not wired up correctly.the red wire coming off the radio should go to a keyed power source,meaning when the key is off the red wire has no power .

i believe the yellow wire is the one that gets power all the time to keep memory(going by memory so check to be sure).

if disconnecting the radio brings everything back to normal then logic says its a radio wiring issue.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

With a Sautrn OEM radio, (L series cars) the yellow wire is the switched +12v, and the orange(red) wire is connected to +12v all the time .......

Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi Thanks it appears the radio isnt working anymore, I am suspecting the radio is toast and its internally staying on and draining the battery via the non switched power lead. Unfortunatly my daughter headed back to school with it so it will have to wait till her next break.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil