Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

draining gas tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Default draining gas tank...

have a 92 Isuzu truck that I'm gonna have to do a fuel pump on, and as luck would have it gassed it up the day before it took a dump. I found I have a drain plug in the gas tank and since it holds about 12 gallons of gas and I used maybe 1 before it died whats the easist/best way to drain it off making the smallest mess possible so I can dump it into the saturn until I get the cash for the fuel pump?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:29 PM

buy a cheap gas tank syphon. It usually onsists of s squeeze bulb and some plastic line. This keeps you from sucking on it. However sucking on it works too. But I can tell you that gasoline makes a lousy mixer for vodka. But it makes is easy to control the amont of gasoline comming out of the tank and into a 1 gallon gasoline can.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 PM

was kinda hoping there was an easy way to just pull the drain plug on the gas tank vs needing to buy something

Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 AM

You could cut up a piece of old hose and use that as a siphon, works just as well

if theres a drain plug on the tank, just pull it, Id imagine thats what it is for. unless you need some special tool to open it, but that just sounds stupid

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by saturnsdn
was kinda hoping there was an easy way to just pull the drain plug on the gas tank vs needing to buy something

That was a 2 part question wasn't it,
Drain gas tank
while
not making a mess?
If you wanted to drain it with out spending money?
Cut up a garden hose and syphen it or pull the plug and see what happens.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM

If you pull that drain plug, you'd better have a container that will hold 12 gallons of gas handy. Putting the plug back in while the gas is running out is messy and dangerous.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Whats up ........... good you got the Saturn back, bad the Izzi lost it's fuel pump. Having a container large enuff and ready is what I'd do.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Ended up getting a syphon pump and will see about trying it that way first. Figured I'd get the syphon pump for when I do the diffs/t-case/tranny anyways. Thought about that Rj but everything I was seeing held about 4-5 gallons which meant I'd need a few of them to hold all the gas since as "law" would have it I filled up the day before and used maybe a gallon before it died.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM

On my brothers old dodge I siphoned the gas out and put it straight in another car. If you have two 5 gal. gas containers ready maybe you can dump one tank into another car your using while the other fills, and put whats left in the tank in the empty container.

Or fuel a lawn mower or leaf blower of whats left lol

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Yepper ............ from one car to another and the rest into a can or two.

Quick Reply: draining gas tank...