Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'98 SL1 purchase - good deal?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Default '98 SL1 purchase - good deal?

Hey Saturnites... first post here, I have lots of automotive forum experience but none with Saturns (until now).

I am considering the purchase of a '98 SL1, for a tow-behind to my RV and a daily winter driver to/from work. I already have a couple other vehicles so this one is an extra, but would certainly have its uses.

Details (and this is what I'm told, I haven't seen in person yet): 147k miles, new tires and battery, dent in trunk lid, no speakers, A/C doesn't blow too cold, shifter is "off 1 notch" from actual gear as some kind of piece broke inside the linkage. Car allegedly runs and drives fine otherwise.

Price was originally $800 firm, and I have her talked down to $500. I'll have to travel about 90 minutes to see/buy it, so I'm trying to do all the research I can in advance.

While any working car at $500 might seem like a good bargain, it'll cost me $200 to transfer the title/registration + any costs for repairs of items above. I'm willing to try the shifter linkage myself if that's a DIY kind of job... any tips on that or other thoughts/warnings are appreciated!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:33 AM

The last $500.00 car I bought was a good deal in that I drove it 7000 miles before it quit completely. I spent $700.00 on repair costs by then and the some one was silly enough to pay me $500.00 based on the work I had done at the time, but blew it up once they got it running and were mad at me when it consumed a quart of oil every other tank of gas. I never told them, he never asked but I simply assumed the oil peeing of the front of the engine literally soaking the passenger side of the car and marking the drive way because the front seal was bad was a clue to one of the things wrong with it. That and 300,000 miles on the clock. Once running though a top end overhaul was done to stop the oil consumption. I love profesional mechanics, they are so gullible. And junk cars with high mileage.
So I guess you might get the idea I really do not think it is a very bright move.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM

I guess I'm more interested in this model of Saturn specifically (versus some unspecific $500 car), and what anyone might know about Saturn SL1's of that vintage... a '98 with 147k miles in this case. Let's say it has received typical maintenance over its lifespan, which I don't really know but somewhat assume since the seller used it for a ~150 mile daily commute. How many more miles should be expected from the powertrain, etc.?

Also any tips on the possible "1 off" shifter problem - would that be something on the shifter end that can be fixed by removing the center console area, or something more serious inside the tranny somehow?