Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'97 Saturn 4-door questions- core support and various components

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Default '97 Saturn 4-door questions- core support and various components

My son rear-ended someone in his Saturn. He went under the back of their car a bit. Their car was not damaged any. So now we need to fix his car. I pulled off the hood, right fender, bumper cover, and the right inner fender (or fender well). I can replace all of that, but my concern is the core support, and another piece I don't know the name of on his car. I have never messed with a uni-body as far as body work goes. What is the part called that the core support is attached to that goes back to the firewall? Can it be removed? I ask because that piece, along with the core support, needs to be replaced. From looking at it, it looks to me like it is one piece with the firewall and the whole front end.
It will need a hood, right fender, right headlight, core support, that other piece, and a bumper cover. Everything else is OK. I also have to replace the air bags, but that is easy. I am not a body man by trade, but I have been working on cars since I was old enough to hold a wrench. I wish I had taken my camera over there with me to take some pics. I can get some next time I go over there. (He does not live at home.)

Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

pics will help us ID the core support piece u mention

Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 AM

I think what you are talking about is called the apron extension. If it needs to be replaced, I would take it to a body shop and let them do that part. That is unless you can weld. Then there is the frame rail and if it is damaged, I would without a doubt take it to a body shop to be repaired.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 AM

This could be tricky. I front clipped a unibody car a while back as a project. It was a collector car thus some intrinsic value. I went through $45.00 worth of spot weld drills taking it apart and a fair amount of grunt work welding it back together (while learning to weld during the process) I did it the hard way with out repainting and it won a car show the week end it was finished.
Yup bragging, but from the damage described it almost sounds as if you would be better off buying another used Saturn and using this one as a doner for parts. It probably would be cheaper in the long run. And less work.