Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

97 Saturn 2dr Coupe few problems/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Default 97 Saturn 2dr Coupe few problems/concerns

Alright not 100% sure of the model exactly but I own a 1997 Saturn and its a 2dr coupe. I can answer the model here shortly, gotta go verify. Couple things I've noticed in last day or so that made me join here to see if any Saturn gurus can help

First problem: When I shift into reverse and hit the gas, it feels like its puttering and going over speed bumps feeling but it idles smooth when I stop. Car runs fine going forward but does this in reverse.

Second problem: I start to drive from a semi-complete to a complete stop and in 1st gear you can hear a winding sound like winds louder with RPMs that goes away after it shifts into 2nd and beyond.

Any ideas or further questions for me that could help me figure this out?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 AM

==========================
First problem: When I shift into reverse and hit the gas, it feels like its puttering and going over speed bumps feeling but it idles smooth when I stop. Car runs fine going forward but does this in reverse.
I wonder if a broken motor mount might be the problem here. You need to check them all, not just the visible ones.
Second problem: I start from a semi-complete to a complete stop and in 1st gear you can hear a winding sound like winds louder with RPMs that goes away after it shifts into 2nd and beyond.
=========================
As this car is new to you with a questionable back ground I would think I would start with a transmission fluid change and an additive like Lucas Transmission fix to see what you happen.

Last edited by derf; 11-17-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

I agree with Unc about the fluid change, but he failed to mention changing the filter while you're at it. Filter change is quite easy. They're external and spin on and off like your oil filter.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Wouldn't the car be doing something going forward and not just reverse in the first situation?? I'm trying to post on the other saturn forum as well to see if there is a census of what it could be.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 AM

Today's automobile is quite complex as far as it's operation goes. That makes responding on a forum such as this to a symptom as described rather than personally experienced first hand subject to not only the interpretation as provided by the person asking a question and they're skills in mechanical/electrical problems solving along with they're skills in describing a problem as related to their car which may or may not be mechanically similar to anything that a person answering the question has experienced or has diagnostic information bought and paid for in their hands thus trying to interpret what is being asked (based on their knowledge) thus another interpretation. Is a round about way of saying a symptom may or may not be related to what direction the car is going via the selection of a gear to do it with.
The question needs to be asked and an answer supplied so further diagnostics can take place.
A job that is a whole bunch easier when you can see touch and feel the car and it's problems rather than have some one else to that for them and then report what is taking place.
There are a multitude of transmission problems that can be reported along with what direction you are going when it happens. As that knowledge along with other symptoms might be important in understanding what is happening.
That said, trouble shooting by comparing notes between multiple people is one way to deal with things, but that leads you to being wide open for other problems caused by assuming that comparison is a valid answer and it isn't. It is another interpretation.