Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96 sl2 AC and Cooling Fan Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Default 96 sl2 AC and Cooling Fan Problems????

Hi, I have a 96 sl2 dohc. I just finished replacing the head gasket and took it for a test drive today. Found a few problems. The ac is not charged, and when I press the AC button the pump does not turn on. Checked all the fuses and everything is good. Will the ac pump not turn on because its not charged or should it still click on? And the cooling fan wont kick on any more, checked all fuses and relay, there all good. I found two things online that said in these cars if your ac is not charged your cooling fan wont work??? It didn't sound right to me, I didn't think they were connected but thought maybe someone on here would know for sure. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM

A/C will not turn on if not charged
Cooling fan comes on when ever the A/C is on
Cooling fan should come on once the temp gauge gets to ABOUT the 3/4 mark

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

A/C has low pressure switch mounted in A/C line (driver's side near battery and fender). A/C clutch indeed will not engage if system is not charged in order to prevent compressor damage. There is also an A/C clutch relay in the underhood junction box, but there is no reason to suspect it is bad at this point.

A/C should operate normally once the system is properly charged
Aux cooling fan should kick in when temp gauge hits 3/4 tick. Are you indicating the fan is not kicking in under this condition? I would check fan relay in underhood junction block if you have already ruled out the fuse.

The fan is also designed to come on when the A/C clutch kicks in, but since your system is not charged, you can't use this to test your aux cooling fan.

You can also determine if fan motor itself is defective by BRIEFLY connecting the fan directly to the battery to see if it spins....

Ever changed ECTS? A bogus temp reading from a failed ECTS (original resin tipped ones prone to failure) -- usually that the coolant is always at -40 --- will also stop the fan from ever coming on, since the PCM never thinks the coolant is hot enough to warrant the fan.

IF you replace the ECTS, replace with a brass tipped one and also replace the (dealer only) connector, as corrosion here will lead to a bogus temp reading.