Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96 SL 2(118k miles) loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 PM

I can't find any leaks anywhere. The enginewas overheated a couple of times but not for long periods. I haven't seen white smoke coming from the exhaust, butthe exhaustdoes feel moist.

Anything that I can do to confirm wheteher or not the cylinder head is warped ?? Wonder what I am looking at expense-wise to get a new cylinder head installed .

Thanks in advance

Bill

Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM

I asked for a leak down tester from Harbor Tools last x-mas. Have yet to use it. It sends compressed air (need an air compresser) through the spark plug hole, while you take note of the pessure gauges. With both intake and exhaust valves closed on each cylinder (compression stroke) you check by listening for air to eacape in three places (throttle body-intake valve not seating properly, exhaust pipe-exhaust valve not seating properly, oil filler cap-valve seals or valve guides worn) and if you remove the radiator cap and you see air bubbles escaping through the antifreeze-you know that there is a communication channel between the combustion chamber and the engine water jacket, such as a blown head gasket-cracked head-warped head etc. Head gasket or cylinder head replacement is expensive because of the time in labor to do the tear down and replacement. If you have the proper tools and knowledge, the job is not as expensive-especially if the head is not warped and a new gasket is all that is needed.Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 PM

the gauge in the overheat zone? maybe not overheating but the coolant temp sensor skewd. it's common for the gauge to read overheating and the motor staying at 200 degress. ( which is not over heating) check coolant level. if low check radiator, they crack at on the drivers side. also cooling fans have problems. does the car over heat on the highway or in traffic?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.

The car does ok in traffic and on the road....doesn't overheat. Performance seems ok although I have not done a cylinder compression check. No white smoke out of the exhaust that I have seen.. I have been getting a cylinder 2 misfire on start up. Also, today I gunned her pretty hard and notice that it seemed to misfire at higher rpm--(way higher than where I drive it)

Bill G.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 AM

Turn the heater on. Does it smell like antifreeze. If it does its most likely you heater core.& nbsp;

Go to autozone and buy that tube of aluminum shaving and run that in there!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Also check the water pump. Right under the ac compressor. If the water drips of the shaft (behind the pulley) you need a new one. If it has overheated a few times it could have blown the seal.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>