Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'95 SL2 not downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Default '95 SL2 not downshifting

New to the forum, and fairly mechanically inclined, so I feel I can fix anything as long as I know what it is!.
This is a '95 SL2, automatic trans, and when coming to a stop after driving for any period of time, the car wants to stall, and will, if I don't throw it into Neutral and rev the engine to keep the RPM's up. Then I slide it back into Drive and can continue on. What is happening is that after driving in the upper gears, when I slow down to stop it is not shifting down into the lower gears, so the engine stalls out each time. Actually, it's about 90% of the time and I can't seem to reason why that it sometimes will downshift.
I have read through 56 pages of this "Saturn S Series" forum so far to see if anyone has this similar problem. I have deduced that possible things to look into would be my ECTS and possible O2 sensors.
The engine runs well, though. Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Oops. I failed to mention that the SES light is on most all of the time, I've just gotten accustomed to the glare!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Sounds like it's staying in a higher gear. Does this have a torque converter lock up on it? If so, the switch may be defective. I don't know if it has this feature or not, but if it does, try unplugging it and see if that makes a difference. If not that, then I really don't have a clue.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanks. I don't know if it has a torque converter lock up, either. I am buying a Haynes manual tonight and will see. Where would that be located, btw? I'll take a look and see.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

get the codes read and post them here.
If you don't know how to read the ODB1 codes do advanced search, posted by derf, keywords paper clip

Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Ok, thanks. As soon as I can get to a parts store to have the codes read I will follow up...

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

most stores like autozone will claim not to be able to read the codes for an ODB I car, even though they sell the damn adapter to go with their ODB II reader.

Use the paper clip method -- fast and easy

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Ayup -- what Derf said ....

(Damn, Derf beat me to it......)

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Um, 'sorry. Paperclip method? I assume that they will know what that means.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM

No, most of the ******** at the local chain parts stores probably won't know about the paper clip method. If you find an older dude that used to work on cars, maybe he'll know. Basically, it's very simple. You find the diagnostic link on your car and when you do, you bend a paper clip into a U shape and plug it into the top part of the link on the last two holes on the right. This will provide the codes you need. You read them by counting the number of times your check engine light blinks. Each code will show three times. For example, a code 23 will be two blinks, a pause and three more blinks, then a pause and a repeat of the two and three blinks. After it does this three times, it'll move on to the next code. If you just get a 12 or 55, then there are no stored codes in the memory.

Quick Reply: '95 SL2 not downshifting